UK--Do regular people have tea or high tea?

I'm from the U.S.A. I have wondered if that is common.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I quite often have afternoon tea which for me is Scones with butter or cream and a pot of tea. I do not live in a big city but in a rural part pf England where old traditions still dominate

• 8 months ago

Some people go to Afternoon tea as a treat, but not daily !

• 9 months ago

Not anybody l know.

• John P
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Depends which part of Britain you are in, and on which social class you are moving in.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Like many in th USA you think that other countries suspended their lifestyle about 50 to 100 yrs ago and never changed possibly because of the films you see..... your question is like a UK citizen thinking that the USA still has cowboys and indians riding around killing each other

• 9 months ago

Afternoon tea used to be the upper class snack of tea and cake in the afternoon, midway between dinner and supper.

High tea was a distinction for the working classes (especially in the north) who call their evening meal tea. It's high tea because it's eaten at the high table rather than a coffee table.

These days when saying tea people either mean a cup of tea (more likely a mug), or their evening meal. Most people have an evening meal. Some people drink tea.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Do you really think that workers stop work in the afternoon and have tea and cakes ?

You have an odd idea of the UK

• 9 months ago

What do you mean by regular people?

Tea in the UK can mean two things; a cup of tea and an evening meal. It all depends on where you are. Lots of people here drink tea, lots don't. I would assume almost everyone has an evening meal. Although some call it dinner or supper.

No one walks around declaring they're having high tea. That and afternoon tea are simply a service offered at hotels or tea rooms.

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

I have high breakfast. One thing I used to like for High Breakfast was beer.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

No. Just a cup of tea, and the evening meal might be called tea. Afternoon tea with little cakes etc is definitely for the posh - nobody else has time for that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.