Shannon asked in HealthOptical · 9 months ago

When wearing glasses to see long distances, is it normal for close up items to be blurry?

When I take my glasses off cannot see far into the distance of course. However, I can see close up. Is it normal for glasses that allow you to see in distance to cause blurriness close up?

Yes I have the same issue its normal

Yes, actually, it's a great coincidence to see your post because just today I realized I didn't see things well up close with my new glasses. Now, whether that occurrence is problematic to us I don't know, it would be good to see your eye doctor for getting a conclusive answer.

How current is your prescription? Yes its very possible if you haven't had an eye exam in awhile you might need bifocals for both distance and up close. I wore contacts or glasses for years and got my first pair of progressive bifocals a few months ago because I cant see up close very good any more. When I wear my contacts I have to use over the counter reading glasses for up close stuff. Now that I got new regular glasses I mainly wear them as I can see at all distances. If you are in your 40s like I am than that is probably what you need!

It depends. If you are young, we would expect you to see clearly at near with the glasses that make your distance vision clear. If you are much past forty, we would expect the glasses that make your distance vision clear not to make your near vision clear. This can happen at any age though. At any age, your optometrist should do some tests at near through your distance correction to see how well it is expected to work. If you are likely to have problems, he should discuss your options with you. These options include, taking your glasses off to do near work, bifocal and progressive lenses.

i would ask your eye doctor about it so he can see why youre seeing blurry, inn nearsighted and i dont see blurry close up

• WB

Yes. For instance, you would not use binoculars to read the label on packaged food, nor would you use a microscope to go bird watching.

• Mark

Yes, especially in areas of lowered light.

yes its completely normal. there are glasses for seeing long distances better and glasses to see close up distances better