Computer water damage fix?
So about halfish of my Mac fell into water. I set it into a bag of rice for about 3 days, then charged it. Now the light lights up like it is charging, but when I go to turn the computer on it doesn’t turn on. How should I go about fixing this problem?
- 10 months ago
You have to buy a new one because of a little drop of water damage the system totally. As you mentioned your system does not turn on after the charging, it can be the reason for a short circuit due to water.
- Smokies HikerLv 711 months ago
Replace your computer. You didn't mention anything about removing the battery immediately after the accident, so unless you did that, your computer is likely toast. Water damage from a "splash" or minor spill is bad enough, but a dunking is probably the end of that computer. Electricity flowing through a computer's circuits and water do not mix! Since you likely didn't remove the battery immediately ( if at all ), the moisture in the computer caused more damage as it reached more parts of the circuits inside the computer. If the battery was indeed still inside the computer for those days it was in the bag of rice, damage continued inside the computer. You mat wish to have a certified Apple Technician look at the computer, but I'm guessing you can mitigate your loss by just replacing the computer. They may give you a few bucks for the parts that wouldn't be affected by water, like the case or some of the wiring. Make sure you get the hard drive removed and keep it for recovery of the information on it.
- Andy TLv 711 months ago
The act of revving it up but fail to means you have done the frying unknowingly, buy s new Mac? I would recommend PC but that s your call.
Since my extremely outdated experience with Mac innards says it is all proprietary shapes capped with customized screws fixing it on the cheap is just not in the cards.
- sirjester099Lv 611 months ago
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous11 months ago
Usually salt water will give you the connections you are missing.
- River EuphratesLv 711 months ago
It's probably fried - but you can try taking it to an Apple store and pay them to verify this for you.
- DanLv 411 months ago
Probably too late, especially now since you've powered it up. It should have been taken apart right away and blown out with compressed air and then dried with a hair dryer.
There's no way for rice to absorb all the moisture from every part inside so when you powered it up there would have been areas that would have been subject to rapid electrolysis and permanent damage.
- AlCaponeLv 711 months ago
You can try putting it in the oven at very low temperature (NOT 450 degrees) for several hours. However, chances are that the damage is already been done and nothing is going to reverse it. The cost to repair it will likely exceed the cost of buying a new one.
- 11 months ago
Ok, I am no expert by far, but if you haven't already, you need to take it apart, take all the components out. If you can take the battery out and leave it in rice for another 24-48 hours, go ahead and add the memory and storage drives in there too.
- Anonymous11 months ago
Take into your local Mac repair shop or buy a new one.