What could cause a strained voice after an episode of mental illness?

my mom recently had a really bad depressive episode. she had to be hospitalized twice and was gone for a good while. she appears to be getting better but ever since she’s been home her voice as been really really quiet, raspy, and idk how to explain it it just sounds like it takes all her breath. i don’t want to... show more my mom recently had a really bad depressive episode. she had to be hospitalized twice and was gone for a good while. she appears to be getting better but ever since she’s been home her voice as been really really quiet, raspy, and idk how to explain it it just sounds like it takes all her breath. i don’t want to ask and my dad hasn’t brought it up so i was just wondering if this is like a mental illness thing or a medicine thing because it’s weird hearing your moms voice for 16 years and then it’s gone and nobody mentions it