Car tire question?

This might be a silly question, but bear with me. So, I have a 2012 Toyota Yaris and I need to get a singular rim for it. I'm not entirely sure of the size of rim I should purchase. The tires that are on it are size 195/50R16. I looked up rims using the make and model of my car, but they were 15 inch rims and the description had a little "guide" on how to choose the right size that said that R15=15 inch, R16=16 inch, etc. I'm worried if I google "2012 toyota yaris rim" I will end up with the wrong size rim and be out of money and my ride to school. I just want to make sure that I purchase the correct size because I am a broke college student. Thanks for any help!

Forgot to add, the listing that confused me said it fit a 2012 Toyota Yaris but were 15 inch rims while my tires are have "R16".

Favorite Answer

Yaris came with 15" wheels with a 16" option offered on some models. You obviously have 16" option.

If you have stock (OEM) steel wheels with plastic covers, and you're broke it's a no brainer. Get your sexy little butt down to your nearest wrecker and pick up a pre-loved Yaris rim for $20. Nobody wants those things so don't be persuaded into paying $150 or something stupid. If you're lucky it may come with a good tyre too.

If you have alloy wheels, the relevant dimensions will be stamped or cast into the wheel, usually near the rim but sometimes on the back. It'll say something like 6x16JJ +51 or 6Jx16ET51

Where;

6 is the nominal width of the rim in inches

16 is diameter of the rim in inches

+51 or ET51 is the offset of the rim in mm - how far the rim/hub mounting face sticks in or out of the wheel arch relative to the centreline of the rim. All front wheel drive cars like yours have positive offset (written as + or ET) where the rim centreline is closer to the car than the hub.

J or JJ refers to the rim cross sectional profile. It states that the shape of the rim where the tyre bead sits complies with some Japanese automotive industry spec from way back.

Don't worry about it. Like VHS video format, JJ took over the world, and virtually all rims made in the last ~60 years are J/JJ compliant.

Your new rim doesn't have to be from a Yaris as long as the centre bore, PCD and offset are the same as yours. The Yaris has a hub centre bore of 54.1mm. If the centre bore of the new rim is bigger you may be able to buy spigot rings to reduce it, but it's a lot easier to find the right wheel to start with. Your PCD is 4x100 (4 mounting bolts/holes arranged on a 100mm diameter). Very common.

The 16" Yaris has +51 offset as standard. If your "new" rim is just going to be a spare to get you home in an emergency, then other offsets may also fit from +30 and up, but you'd need to check clearance to your bodywork as the tyre will effectively stick out more and may rub. Far simpler if you get the same size.

• Myranda7 months agoReport

Thank you for your help! I ultimately figured it out on my own, but you essentially just summarized what I figured out. I appreciate that your answer goes beyond "take it to a mechanic lol" like half the answers.

You need a 16 inch rim.Take a look round the local junkyards

• Jay P

The easiest would be to go to your local Toyota dealer and get one from them ( assuming this vehicle is still wearing the factory rims ). But that could be expensive.

I second the suggestion of searching salvage yards. Many salvage yards have a shared online inventory you can view through the website linked below:

• shannon9 months agoReport

There’s a chain here in Mississippi called Pull-a-part I got a bed for my truck there

• don r

Glad you aren't studying mechanical engineering in COLLEGE. You need a campus JOB if you're going to own a car and afford school. The salvage yard might have the exact rim you need and they'll tell you when you call them. Otherwise the Toyota parts department can get the part for you, though at premium price and you need to buy a tire for it. Everything you need to know a bout the tire is listed on the ones you still have.

• Myranda7 months agoReport

Yeah, good thing I'm studying health in COLLEGE. Unfortunately, my on-campus JOB doesn't allow me many hours and pays me minimum wage!

• Erik

Just match it to the other three. Like someone else said, the easiest way would probably be a junkyard (that way the tire is already mounted).