Why is the state Alaska in Canada, but not in the United States of America?

I know in the pass that Russia own Alaska in the pass. Why is the state Alaska in Canada, but not in the United States of America?

Duh, why can some people not understand borders are arbitrary? Alaska is in the USA because that is how we drew the borders.

• John P

Alaska is not "in Canada" but indeed it is separated from the "lower 48 states" by a large chunk of Canada. You could also ask why Hawaii is separated from the other states of the USA by a very large area of the Pacific Ocean.

Alaska was occupied by Russia for about 100 years, and bought by the USA from Russia in 1867.

I assume that your school is one of the many in the USA which has a very low standard of geographical knowledge.

Because Alaska used to be part of Russia, and Canada used to be ruled by the UK, and then Russia sold Alaska to the U.S.

• Daniel

WTF?

Please tell me that you are a troll and not that stupid. Alaska is part of the US--I can tell because while driving around Alaska today, I saw quite a few US flags and no maple leafs.

• A C

And this, my friends, is yet another reason I am against the public school system.

• Mark

Seriously, if you've had this account since 2007, that would make you at a MINIMUM of 25. Why, at that age, do you still like trolling?

Alaska is not in Canada. It's next door to Canada, but not in it. It's part of the US, even though it's not physically joined to the rest of the US(neither is Hawaii) because the US bought it.

Alaska in Canada? Please tell us here on YA that you are not that stupid.

Don’t school teach history anymore.

Look up seward’s folly.

This is going to make your head explode. Alaska used to belong to Russia. So you have Russian territory in Canada that later became a US state.

Russia use to own Alaska but was looking for ways to get rid of it since Alaska didn’t have any resources that Russia needs (gold was discovered years later). Russia was also afraid that it might lose the territory in a war with the UK. So it sold it to the United States thinking that if there’s a war, it would be the US’d problem.

How do you propose that we move the biggest state from Canada down to the United States.

• chris

That's stupid!

It's not "in" Canada!

It's "next to" Canada!