Are Bus Drivers in the UK supposed to help passengers with their luggage?

I was boarding a National Express bus for a 7 hour bus ride in the UK. The bus stopped at the bus stop, and there was me and another passenger waiting to board. The driver got out of the bus. I don't remember well but I think the driver put the other passenger's travel bag in the cargo hold of the bus. I... show more I was boarding a National Express bus for a 7 hour bus ride in the UK. The bus stopped at the bus stop, and there was me and another passenger waiting to board. The driver got out of the bus.

I don't remember well but I think the driver put the other passenger's travel bag in the cargo hold of the bus.

I then stood beside the bus and waited for the driver to put my bag in the cargo hold and there was a brief awkward pause where the driver looked at me. The driver then picked up my bag and put it in the cargo hold, and then rudely said to me '' I'm not your servant mate. ''.

What the hell!? Are passengers in the UK supposed to put their own bags in the cargo hold of the bus? Why was this bus driver so rude? I thought bus drivers do this to all passengers (Putting their bags in the cargo hold).