Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 11 months ago

Shouldn't the royal family of England be that of Anglo-Saxon bloodline of King Alfred the Great the true king of England?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

We are!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

No , they descended from Merlin.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

The Queen is a descendant of Alfred the Great. She is his great(x36)-granddaughter.

• Clo
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Alfred's descendants are the monarchical family.

Since Britain adopted Church of England/Church of Scotland as the state religion, monarchs must be Protestant and uphold the Anglican faith. Parliament chose the Stuart family members who were Protestant, as successors to the throne.

The Stuart family are successors of Alfred the Great.

• ...Show all comments
    • Clo
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

As usual, trolls are not able to state facts. The Stuarts are still in power as Sophia was a Stuart family member. The current family are direct descendants of many Royal Houses--Stuarts, Tudors, Plantagenets, and so on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

In fact, the Queen is a descendant of Alfred, through a woman if I'm remembering correctly. Whether she's actually a descendant of "Cerdic of Wessex" is open to question. At a certain point, the ancestral line becomes only putative and rather murky, and it's not certain that Cerdic actually existed.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Except that military defeat has long been acceptable in terms of a change of power and no one disputes that William the Conqueror did defeat King Harold Godwinson at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The real controversial switch from one royal house to another regards the Act of Settlement that displace the presumed Catholic heir and skipped over to the Hanoverian line that still rules to this day. Not a military victory in the old school way but rather a legislative appointment.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lili
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Yes, brother, I've been making that point for years. However, a number of our little troll republicans refuse to believe it. They can't handle the idea that they are descended from royalty, though if they had basic math skills, it would be obvious.

• 11 months ago

They are. The present Queen is a direct descendant of the royal house of Wessex, through Alfred the Great right back to his 5th-century ancestor Cerdic, founder of that dynasty.

• 11 months agoReport

If this is true I am so happy to hear this you have made my day

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.