How can someone be patriotic, knowing their country’s history?

I’m not like morally judging someone who is patriotic, I just want to know how someone can feel patriotic if they know what kind of terrible things their country did/does.

Of course, the US has done great things as well. But, as far as I know, nothing so great as to distinguish itself from other countries in such a way to feel patriotic.

And I don’t want to give off the impression that I hate America. I am thankful for where I live, but I just dont understand how someone can be patriotic towards America, as that’s on another level. Patriotic people, how do you reconcile with the awful history of America?

And I don’t just mean the immediate examples like slavery. I also mean our policy toward Latin America and Asia, things like Chile, Vietnam, East Timor, etc. perhaps it’s just some bad eggs doing some bad things... but I can’t get passed it.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Linda
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

EVERY country has some negative history; we learn about it, we learn from it and move forward.

• 9 months ago

Youre too apologetic. Feel free to hate America, because it is hateable. It sucks as$

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

First, I don't fully understand the term "patriotic", I don't have a use for it in daily life.

Does it mean "I love my country better than others"? > OK, familiarity makes you love things better. You love the "home" where you live, the wife you say hello to every morning, the slippers you've grown used to...

Dos it imply "my country is better than others"? And how would you measure such a thing? In terms of money, because you have better life standards? > But, even if it is true, what if such wealth has been obtained, as you mention, through foul means (bloodbaths, the systematic murder of opposing voices...)?

I've never felt "patriotic" towards my country in the usual sense. A country is just a line on the ground. However, I do admire things that are characteristic of the people in the country where I live. A certain way of being and looking at life that has a particular "flavor" to it. But it happens only in some of those individuals, the best of them. Dumb guys are internationally equal. So seeing a banner does not wake emotion in me, as it includes both the brilliant and the dumb guys as well.

I also hate the mistakes made by my country's government. We also have genocides on our back. Politically, there's nothing to admire. I guess it would be the same in ancient Rome; Virgil would probably, in private, abominate of the continuous massacres fostered by his government. That didn't avoid that he wrote the Aeneid, which is a masterpiece that only a cultivated Roman could have written.

The US is monstrous in a lot of ways, especially in the political sphere. But there's also, among their best exemplars, a way of looking at life that's unique there, and that's what I can admire; the lack of pretentiousness, the practical sense, the aspiration (work in progress) to equality among people, the capability for teamwork, the snappy storytelling... I agree with Leonard Cohen, who called US "home of the worst and of the best".

• 9 months ago

To me being patriotic, means you take pride in your country, and you want to see you country improve. Yea so we had our bad times, but if you look back most countries, if not all have had theirs. If we lose our patriotism and pride in our country, we're doomed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Name me one nation that doesn't have its blood on its hands (e.g., the British Empire, Belgian rule over Congo, the Japanese Empire, Nazi Germany, Canada's and Australia's treatment of Aboriginals, etc). Countries have done bad things, but also done good things. People have to learn from their mistakes and move on to do better things in the future, but unfortunately, there's always bad people in this world that wants to ruin it. It's not just limited to the U.S. and what you describe can be said the same for every nation. You can't change the past, but all we can do is move on and do better things instead of whining and pointing fingers.

• mom
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

No country on earth has more reason to be patriotic. To be patriotic is to love your country. Just like our kids, it may not be perfect but it's ours. We love it for many reasons. Because it's where we were born, where our ancestors were born, our children were born. We love it because it has been a good place to live and because it is constantly trying to get better. Look at the rest of the world and what is going on now and what has gone on before our time. If you would prefer to be in one of them, you are always free to go. Take at it.

• mom
      Lv 6
      9 months agoReport

I think so. I believe it's the home of people who try to make it better. America isn't necessarily a good place for some people here either. Not for the young caught up in dying in another land. It's not good for poor people who live without food or a roof, any more than any other country is.

• 9 months ago

Oh yea you mean freeing Nicaraugua from Communism and keeping it a Democracy ever since the 80's? Or how about invading Granada and Panama to free those nations from dictatorships and keeping them democracies ever since? I bet you won't be able to find but a dozen of so South Koreans and Japanese who are so thankful Americans bleed and died so that their countries could be free of dictatorships as well. Do you know what General MacArthur's first act as the governor of Occupied Japan was? It was to give Japanese Women equal rights as Men for the first time in Japanese history.

You should also come to East Texas where a large number of South Vietnamese came seeking refuge after the war. I live here and I know them and they are very patriotic for their countries. They fly to American and South Vietnamese flag's with pride. Did you know the US never once invaded North Vietnam? Not once! We only defended the South as that was our only mission to preserve South Vietnamese independence. Unfortunately we failed and 2,000,000 South Vietnamese civilians were murdered by the Northern Communists after the war with mass rape and theft following all over their country as would have happened to South Korea had we lost the Korean War

As nation we are not perfect, no nation is, but we've done far more good than harm to the world. Including our inventions that were invented here because we give people the freedom to do with their money and their time as they please!

https://blog.cheapism.com/best-american-inventions...

• er9 months agoReport

Little does this poster know, the "Korean War" hasn't technically ended.

• 9 months ago

On balance the USA has accomplished So Much that is good they have a Lot to be proud of.

I won;'t bother to list all that the USA has done to provide better lives and longer lives for all of humanity world wide or their efforts to keep people free from Tyranny, you already know those things. So I'll just say American Citizens can legitimately justify being patriotic.

• McSchmeezer
      Lv 4
      9 months agoReport

Philip, youre a right wing stooge. You spew untruths. You think repeating lies, to help 'the team' rob millions into misery and early death is somehow justifiable, if you just keep twisting the lies and repeating them. AND YOU DONT EVEN CARE WHAT HARM YOU CAUSE. YOU ARE CRAP! YOUR MOM IS IN SHAME!

• yodi
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

Injun scalps and Black lynchings are somethings many Yanks are proud of.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I couldn't care less.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.