How can someone be patriotic, knowing their country’s history?

I’m not like morally judging someone who is patriotic, I just want to know how someone can feel patriotic if they know what kind of terrible things their country did/does. Of course, the US has done great things as well. But, as far as I know, nothing so great as to distinguish itself from other countries in such... show more I’m not like morally judging someone who is patriotic, I just want to know how someone can feel patriotic if they know what kind of terrible things their country did/does.

Of course, the US has done great things as well. But, as far as I know, nothing so great as to distinguish itself from other countries in such a way to feel patriotic.

And I don’t want to give off the impression that I hate America. I am thankful for where I live, but I just dont understand how someone can be patriotic towards America, as that’s on another level. Patriotic people, how do you reconcile with the awful history of America?

And I don’t just mean the immediate examples like slavery. I also mean our policy toward Latin America and Asia, things like Chile, Vietnam, East Timor, etc. perhaps it’s just some bad eggs doing some bad things... but I can’t get passed it.