Elana
Lv 7
Elana asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 8 months ago

NASA says first human on Mars likely to be a woman?

Update:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/nasa-woman-on-ma...

Which is to say, men can reasonably say that whomever that person was, she got that job because she was a woman? After all, they're not even talking about comparative merits of candidates, only about the numbers of each demographic, that women are about half the astronauts and half the flight controllers.

Update 2:

I would much rather hear that, given no other information available and the makeup of the existing astronaut pool, there is a 50/50 shot the first astronaut will be a woman. But no, they went OUT OF THEIR WAY to show they were going to discriminate towards women.

68 Answers

Relevance
  • Nick
    Lv 5
    8 months ago
    Best Answer

Gender should never matter.

• Elana
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

EXACTLY. Competence is key and NASA comments like referenced negate that. No, I don't think it will fail if it isn't men doing it, but I do think deliberately choosing by gender (either way) over competence reduces its chance of success.

• 8 months ago

Whoever is 1st human on Mars will be on a one way death trip

• Elana
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Maybe so, but that was not the question asked.

• Amy
    Lv 4
    8 months ago

I hope so that would be awesome!

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Well, there is a 50/50 chance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Makes no difference on gender..

• 8 months ago

It will probably be two males . Women have " monthly issues " to deal with .

Suicide anyway you look at it .

There are too many problems with Mars . Lower gravity , high radiation , lower

sun light , extreme cold ....

• 8 months agoReport

There is too many high problems for women? What makes these problems different for a man? And monthly issues can be solved by tampons it ain’t the end of the world.

• Zhu
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

NASA is not an individial and says nothing.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

That’s hardly even the point, is it? Trumpa$$ gives a lot of money to N-A$$-A to go to fvcking desolate mars to make himself look good to all the morons out there (he’ll probably build a trump towers there) but doesn’t want to spend a red penny to save the fvcking amazing, once green and beautiful planet we live on. Egomaniacal douche he is. NASA is a bunch of brainless little science nerds with pocket protectors and no souls. The whole “woman on mars” thing is just clever PR for them to justify wasting money that could be spent trying to save this unique, fertile, life-sustaining planet that we’ve allowed GOP assholes like trump and his corporate swamp mates to destroy

• Zhu
      Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

Maybe Trump can be the first prisoner exiled to Mars!

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

In the name of equality I hope NASA sends to Mars an all women’s team consisting of many different ethnicities. Along with males, NASA should disqualify anyone who is white or republican or Christian or straight. I hope the first human to set foot on Mars is a mixed Black-Asian, Muslim, lesbian woman. Since weight is a consideration, preferably these women will also be midgets.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

These statements are not official.

• Elana
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

True enough.

But really damming to future female astronauts who will continue to face the "you're only here because of your gender" comments.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.