2002 BMW X5 consumes a lot of oil, runs excellent, no blue smoke, but what is causing it to use a lot of oil?

My mum's cousin's 2002 BMW E53 X5 is consuming too much oil in a short matter of time and that it still runs great and there's no blue smoke from the exhaust. The car has around 120,000KM on the odometer and I'mleft stumped wy it would consume too much oil with only this amount of kilometers. And... show more My mum's cousin's 2002 BMW E53 X5 is consuming too much oil in a short matter of time and that it still runs great and there's no blue smoke from the exhaust. The car has around 120,000KM on the odometer and I'mleft stumped wy it would consume too much oil with only this amount of kilometers. And this is 15W40 it's consuming too much of.

Is it best to use an oil stop leak with hthe recommended 5W30 oil or the 15W40 so it doesn't consume it even quicker?