Why isn t the sun green?

If it s output peaks in green

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Julien
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Best Answer

I thought the peak of the Planck law was on the yellow, but maybe you're right: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BlackbodyS...

Then, I guess the shift from green to yellow could probably be an effect of Rayleigh scattering in the atmosphere: the same effect that makes the sun red at sunset, but not as strong.

Another possibility could be that it is an effect of the strong asymmetry of the Sun's power spectrum distribution: on the red side there is a long tail so that actually I think most of the energy of the Sun is in the infrared. This is more visible here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Black_body...

• Miles8 months agoReport

The sun outside of the atmosphere is usually white, but the atmosphere blocks some of the other colours (at least that's what I think it is, feel free to correct me)

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Because "peak emission" and perceived "color" are not the same thing.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

The sun is a mix of all colors i.e. red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet. That's why when you look at it through a prism you get wavelengths of light in all colors. The mix of all those colors are being broken up. That's also why rainbows are a ray of all colors. The water the sun shines through does the same because it acts as a prism.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Because it PEAKS in green. It radiates at all other frequencies as well and they mix to make white.

• Luke
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

But if it peaks in green, doesn't that mean there's more green than any other colour? If you mix a lot of one colour with a little of other colours, wouldn't that one colour dominate?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Gabe
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Because it also gives off immense amounts of everything else at the same time!!!

• 8 months ago

Why is my **** brown

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Human perception is an imperfect thing....if you want to see the true splendor of reality, You'll have to use the visual prowess of birds - they see colors we can't even dream about. Our lineage lost all color vision and only regained it through chance mutation - be happy we see as good as we can.

• 8 months ago

Yes, it peaks in Green, but Green does not dominate the other colors. The Sun's overall color is still a combination of many colors.

• goring
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

It was Goethe that indicated that green does not really exist. When we look at the Sun Its a bright white.

• Tom S
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

It's not easy being green. - Kermit T. Frog.

• 8 months ago

It is true that the Sun's output is mostly in the Green part of the Spectrum

But our Eyes' perception of it is a Yellowy White

Whereas everything we would see would appear Black

• 8 months ago

While the peak output is in the green, it's overall output is all across the visible light range, and very bright - in space, the sun appears quite white... On Earth, due to our atmospheric effects, it appears yellow, due to some of it's light being absorbed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.