What's Best for the Kitchen-Wood Floors or Tile Floors?

• Ann
    Favorite Answer

There are wood-like tile floors that are attractive. I have that in my house. It's much easier to clean, and not nearly as much risk of damage from stains, etc.

tile floor

It’s all preference, but I like wood flooring.

I love to cook and entertain, so I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. For the purpose of not suffering leg or back pain from standing on a rock hard tile floor, I prefer a softer place to stand. Also, anything that drops on a tile floor will shatter in a gazillion pieces, no doubt about it.

Wood floors are fantastic, IF they have the correct finish AND are swept every day. Otherwise, dirt particles on the floor (from shoes worn outdoors) will act like abrasive pieces of sand paper and wear out the finish and scratch the floor in traffic areas. Also, I have wooden kitchen cabinets and oak butcher block counter tops. So, putting down a wood floor with the wood cabinets and oak counter tops is waaaay too much wood in one room for my taste.

Therefore, for those reasons, I prefer sheet vinyl as it is totally waterproof and lasts a good long time. You also cannot beat the easy maintenance and the fantastic price either.

BUT, if I had to choose between tile or wood, I would pick wood. With all of the fantastic finishes available today, and with good upkeep habits, wood floors are truly beautiful. All of my bedrooms and common areas in my house all have wood floors and I love them.

• Bill

ceramic tiles

hard , long lasting and don't show wear marks like wood does

• Bill

I'm about to lift my tiles kitchen floor (too cold in winter) and I'll be laying vinyl click lock planking (slate effect). Waterproof and guaranteed for 25 years. Also of course, warm underfoot.

• TeeM

They now have many 'ceramic' tiles that look like wood.

This is a compromise giving the cleaning and lack of staining of a tile, resembling the beauty of wood.

This is a compromise because it only 'looks like wood' and doesn't feel wood.

If you chose to go with wood, make sure it is 'solid wood' or maybe a 'bamboo' which is actually harder than most wood.

With real wood flooring, you will need to protect the wood by sealing it regularly and cleaning spills quickly.

.

• The kitchen tile floor is better and waterproof. Wood floors can be damaged if they are not cleaned up in time.

i like wood. tile and water create more slippery conditions, imho

Source(s): grampa

Tile is much more durable as in the kitchen you will usually be getting a lot of things on the floor and places around the sink my be getting persistant water spills/drips that if not cleaned up quickly could cause and issue.

But, wood is fine for the kitchen. It's not like it isn't durable you just have to make sure that things (liquids especially) and cleaned up pretty quickly.

For most people it comes down to what they like the best rather than worrying about the small differences between the two.

There is also wood-like tiles that I saw in a house and couldn't tell they weren't wood.