Mj
Lv 5
Mj asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 12 months ago

How many manufactured chemicals do you think you are exposed to in a typical day?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 7
    12 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Not counting smog and emissions. I'm eating Doritos for lunch and they have plenty. In the room where I sit (define exposed......): Nitric acid, sulfuric acid, boric acid, borax, LPG, bottled oxygen, acetone, denatured alcohol (could be methanol but denatured is cheaper), sodium cyanide, dichloromethane, paint thinner, industrial detergent and a whole arsenal of adhesives. Over yonder is some old paint and I have a vintage bottle with a teaspoon full of mercury in it, just as a collectible. And I'm not a chemist. And some in my place might have HF but I won't have it. Oh, I have a rescue inhaler in my coat pocket.

After that you might define where you want to stop. The sizing in printer paper is a manufactured chemical, as are many vitamins.

I'll add that I made my list because my suspicion is that you are fishing for stories about gluten or probiotics and such. But there are chemicals and then there are chemicals.

• ...Show all comments
    • Cowboy
      Lv 6
      11 months agoReport

EPA lists 80,000 synthetic chemicals manufactured by modern industry. We have safety and exposure data for very few.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    12 months ago

This is a meaningless question, such as the enlightenment was intended to dispel. The 'manufactured chemicals' you talk of are of course sprites, bogles, witches, hexes, curses, phantoms and hobgoblins.

• Mj
      Lv 5
      12 months agoReport

. Whatever.

• 12 months ago

Quite a bit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

You just made my hair hurt.

• Mj
      Lv 5
      12 months agoReport

Please accept my apology.

• sam
    Lv 6
    12 months ago

thousands

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.