Justin asked in PetsFish · 8 months ago

Can distilled water be good for my fish?

I know tap water is bad for fish. I have fish right now swimming in a five gallon tank of distilled water. This is safe for them right?

Best Answer

Distilled water is stripped of minerals and nutrients. If You use it, you will need to add those back in the way people using reverse osmosis water do.

Tap water is good for fish. But you need to add A dechlorinatore like seachums prime or amquell It removes clorine, chloramine and heavy metals, it works instantly, you dont let water sit out, you need to add water that is the same temperature as the rest of he water in the tank.

Distilled or reverse osmosis water does not have the minerals necessary to buffer pH. If used exclusively you will have a very unstable pH which is dangerous for fish.

yes as chlorine has gone

No. It's bad.

You need to let the water sit awhile to let the Chlorine it the water dissipate out of it or buy the stuff at the local store that clears it faster...I still let it sit for several hours after using the stuff for my fish is pets I need to protect.....

I found this response online

"I'm a marine biologist and have inadvertently done this experiment with toxicology tests on fish. Distilled water alone in a very clean container will kill fish quickly. It's not the lack of minerals directly. It's the fact that salts in the fish's blood will rapidly diffuse out into the distilled water. This leads to neurological problems.

If you use distilled water I'd make sure to add some solutes before dumping a fish in."