Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 11 months ago

Is it possible to just not be compatible with a parent?

My dad NEVER listens to me, I never feel heard. The only time we get along is when I have to make myself smaller, quieter, and just agree with everything he says. I'm a girl, and he doesn't make me feel like a young lady. I feel like an object/thing to him. He tries to be funny once in a awhile and it comes out very bad, awkward, and controlling. Last week I was making food, he didn't bother asking me what I'm making just tries to be "funny" and tells me to add balogna but says it in a demanding way and walks away fast.

I'm getting frustrated thinking and knowing I don't have a good bond with him, and never will. He doesn't try at all to take an interest in my life, my abilities, skills, value. He never has anything positive to say about my life or even his own. I don't bother asking him about work or his life because it's always negative.. Zero parental morals/guidance.. So it possible that some people just aren't compatible with their parent(s)?

Favorite Answer

Yes, it's possible, but in this case it sounds more like the bad combination of an adolescent struggling with a non-communicative, distant, controlling father. It's a rather commonplace occurrence.

How old are you? Where is your mom? What kind of work does he do?

i think thats possible, and if youre lucky enough to be over 18 nnove out

Update: You don't have to be super-dad to do the right thing! He also allowed my brother to abuse me, he has lied a lot to make himself look better while I receive verbal abuse from other family members, and for THAT I find him REPULSIVE

I don't think so. It's not normal.

It sounds like your father has problems. I don't think anyone would be compatible with him.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Can you get your own place?