Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 8 months ago

I have a big fear of driving. Is it okay to just never drive?

I am a 20 y/o with my driver’s license. Firstly, I’d appreciate if you guys didn’t relate this to my age and tell me to “suck it up.” Fears aren’t limited to kids.

I started learning to drive when I was 18. I got my permit at 17. I got my license on my third try, somehow, when I was 18 nearing 19. I’ve had it for a year and a half. I’m easily confused and blanked out. Some stuff on the road wouldn’t make sense. I didn’t memorize all of the rules. I drove alone quite often at the age of 19. Tiny mistakes, never any accidents. I was overall pretty comfortable. But I could only go to 3 locations: my university & two shopping centers. I was uncomfortable going anywhere else since I knew how bad my confusion can get. And so I never did.

I’m not diagnosed with anything which would cause me to be easily confused. People say I’m quite intelligent and have simply infused myself of this, but nonetheless I still feel I am a bit childish and confused. And terrible with directions. A huge reason not to drive.

About 7 months ago, I stopped driving altogether and found rides everywhere. I have not driven since, except for two occasions. I was EXTREMELY NERVOUS. I started fearing panicking on the road and losing control. Now I can’t even believe Ive ever driven, especially alone! The very thought FREAKS ME OUT. I’m considering relying on rides from friends or family, or public transport as I already do. What do you think I should do? Should I try and treat it? Or am I OK not driving?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Linda
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Of course it's ok to never drive. There are tons, of people, who don't want to drive.

• 8 months ago

Sure. My friend of 50 years got his license and never drove again, for exactly that reason. I have always acknowledged he has it right: an informed decision to drive includes the significant risk of serious accidents.

If you can't accept the possibility of being in - maybe responsible for - an accident where people can be dismembered, you shouldn't drive.

• 8 months ago

It's generally better to overcome your fears than to allow them to dictate how you live your life.

Driving can be very dangerous - and even if you are experienced, you have to take other drivers into account, many of whom are distracted.

Your best bet would be to find a driver training course, and spend some time becoming aware of, and getting used to, the types of situations you need to be watching for - and learning how to counter-act them.

In addition to driving, I also ride a motorcycle, and the additional danger that I face as a motorcyclist has led me to drive much more defensively. I am constantly watching for people who don't signal, who change lanes without looking, try to cut me off, slam on their brakes suddenly (whether or not there is a reason to), among other things.

I watch their heads to see if they are looking down at their phone, I scan traffic ahead to watch for brake lights, I pay attention to how close the person in front of me is to the car in front of them (and how close the cars behind me are). The more you drive, the more natural all of this becomes - but you have to learn what to watch for.

Good luck!

• zipper
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Yes! A lot of people never learn to drive; then there are those that think they know how to drive and don't!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

It is okay to never drive.

First, you can live in a place where parking is limited and public transportation is abundant, so most of the population doesn't use cars, such as some parts of New York City.

Second, with Uber and Lyft, it's becoming more convenient and less expensive to travel by car without driving.

Third, within 20 years, and perhaps much sooner, self-driving cars will be available so you'll be able to go anywhere that a person can drive, without having to drive.

• 8 months ago

Do all of us a favor and just use you drivers license for an ID. Use UBER.

• CB
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Seek professional help for this irrational and intense fear. Psychiatrists often help people overcome these types of fears. (Flying, Spiders, Large Crowds etc).

Also use a GPS or google maps- set it up on your dash it tells you where to go just use a little common sense if it mistakenly tells you to turn on a one way street or dead end road, (Very rare that it happens). It will always get you to your destination and back - no worries.

Another thing you can do is to research anything that confuses you while on an outing - research the sign or road type and think it through - the more intersections and situations you encounter the more your knowledge base will grow - there are some strange things but experience is a great teacher.

Source(s): Professional driver (cars) up and down the east coast of USA
    • CB
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

My neighbor and her husband have driven several millions miles with not injuries - Anecdotal evidence is as useless as teats on a boar hog.

• 8 months ago

It is the responsible thing, you're doing. Here's a story to illustrate how you're being responsible:

Last year I read on YouTube a comment from a guy who said he had a seizure in his car at a gas pump. Said he stopped for gas and his usual snack on his way home from work. When he came conscious, an ambulance was there. And the cops were called. He declined care and was shocked and appalled when he was arrested. An OUTRAGE. A working man coming home from his job stops for gas and a snack, has a medical issue and is ARRESTED?! No cop cared about his health, got him a doctor or anything. Just a jail cell. He gave more information about the situation, but that's all the YTers needed. Everyone was outraged for him. How dare those cops, right? Gutless, cruel cowards!

Here is the more information he gave:

He declined the ambulance because he was just at the hospital the week before for a seizure then. The ambulance people recognized him from that week-previous incident. He even used that in his argument, that the ambulance people and he recognized each other, so why would the cop arrest him?

Well... because he was driving around KNOWINGLY with a potentially deadly accident illness.

Add to the fact he declined the ambulance because "I was just at the hospital last week." WTF? lol What bearing does that have on today's seizure? Also, you dismissed the ambulance, but you complain the cops didn't take you to the hospital? YOU DECLINED CARE.

(Not YOU, asker, I mean the YT guy).

He was driving around knowing he could have a seizure at any moment. Then he DID have one, but only by luck he was stopped for gas. Minutes before he could have crashed and killed someone.

No no... dear asker. You are doing the right thing. Driving is a privilege, not a right. And you understand your responsibility to take yourself off the road, and you are to be thanked.

• Rufus T. Firefly
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Well. I didn't think there was a lower bottom.
      You know, you may be right.
      What a putz.

• E
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

It’s ok

• 8 months ago

I m 21 and drive, but I don t have my license. I have severe anxiety about how incompetent other drivers are, which can endanger not only me, but the people who are in my car at the time as well. I don t like driving, but it is convenient going from point A to B. So my advice would be to only use driving to get to your job, and to get groceries. Other than that, take an Uber or whatever.

• Edna
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Wonderful! You admit that you have no driver's license, yet you drive on the streets and highways. Don't you know that unless you have a license, you're not legally allowed to drive to work, or to the grocery, or ANYWHERE? It's going to be funny, when you're stopped for a burned out tail light.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.