I have a big fear of driving. Is it okay to just never drive?

I am a 20 y/o with my driver’s license. Firstly, I’d appreciate if you guys didn’t relate this to my age and tell me to “suck it up.” Fears aren’t limited to kids. I started learning to drive when I was 18. I got my permit at 17. I got my license on my third try, somehow, when I was 18 nearing 19. I’ve had it for... show more I am a 20 y/o with my driver’s license. Firstly, I’d appreciate if you guys didn’t relate this to my age and tell me to “suck it up.” Fears aren’t limited to kids.

I started learning to drive when I was 18. I got my permit at 17. I got my license on my third try, somehow, when I was 18 nearing 19. I’ve had it for a year and a half. I’m easily confused and blanked out. Some stuff on the road wouldn’t make sense. I didn’t memorize all of the rules. I drove alone quite often at the age of 19. Tiny mistakes, never any accidents. I was overall pretty comfortable. But I could only go to 3 locations: my university & two shopping centers. I was uncomfortable going anywhere else since I knew how bad my confusion can get. And so I never did.

I’m not diagnosed with anything which would cause me to be easily confused. People say I’m quite intelligent and have simply infused myself of this, but nonetheless I still feel I am a bit childish and confused. And terrible with directions. A huge reason not to drive.

About 7 months ago, I stopped driving altogether and found rides everywhere. I have not driven since, except for two occasions. I was EXTREMELY NERVOUS. I started fearing panicking on the road and losing control. Now I can’t even believe Ive ever driven, especially alone! The very thought FREAKS ME OUT. I’m considering relying on rides from friends or family, or public transport as I already do. What do you think I should do? Should I try and treat it? Or am I OK not driving?