Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 months ago

Do most employers require a doctor’s note if you get sick and can’t go to work for a day and they don’t offer any paid sick leave?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago
    Best Answer

No, not the first occurrence. Employers generally only start requiring a doctor's note for a single day of absence in order to excuse you from work when the employee has had more absence incidences from calling in sick within a set time frame than is statistically likely.

I work for the government. I'll only ask for a doctor's note from my employees after the third day of absence. But for one employee who developed a pattern of calling in sick once a week or so without having any known illness or anything, I had to put her on probation, and a condition of that probation is that she must provide a doctor's note to be excused from work for even one day, even if it's leave without pay, which it would be because she has zero leave from missing so much work.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

One day?

No

Out for a week?

Yes.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

No. But most employers would require one if they think you are faking it or you are out of work due to an alleged illness for any length of time; e.g. a week or more. If an employer doesn't have a written policy then it would be up to the discretion of the employer.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

i think they do

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

No

If you job is too shitty to pay sick leave, they have to accept employees dot' have health insurance.

• 8 months ago

a doctor’s note is required if there is doubt about an employee's ability (frailty) to do the job, or possible contagion.

For the safety of the other employees and Insurance Liability.

There may also be an investigation for "work abandonment", if the employee has frequent Day before and/or Day after holiday (or weekend) absences.

• 8 months ago

No.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.