Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 year ago

My computer was factory resetting and I turned it off?

I made a post like this a hour ago but I’m going to try and put more info on here... so I was factory resetting my pc and when I was resetting it the screen was black nothing was happening, so I ended up turning it off by holding the the power button until it powered off, and once I did that I turned it back on and it was a black screen. So I let it run the entire night to see if it was still resetting and when I got up and looked at it it was still a black screen. When ever I turn it on there are no symbols there is nothing it’s just black it’s a Alienware desktop it’s running on windows 10 and its 2 years old

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

So, when you say "black screen", does the Alienware boot menu ever pop up?

There are 2 issues that could have happened, one hardware wise, one software wise.

Any time your boot up your PC, it will go through a "Power On Self Test" aka POST. This loads stuff up on the hardware level and will always come up if all the hardware is working. It will work even without Windows or any Operating System, even will work with just CPU + RAM, no GPU, no HDD, etc.

The POST will usually show the motherboard manufacturer screen, in your case Alienware or Dell or American Megatrends (BIOS manufacturer)

Most often, you will see something like "Press DEL for setup or BIOS"

This screen should ALWAYS come up. If it does, your hardware is working fine and you just need to restart the Windows installation. If you don't see this, go to the bottom of my post to see what to do next.

There are 2 ways you can try to do this. On first bootup, you might see an option to do a system recovery or factory reset or something, try doing that. If not, try going into the BIOS and booting into the main HDD or SSD to see if you can get any options.

If that doesn't work, you need to get another computer to create a bootable Windows USB. You will need any USB drive 4GB+. Download Windows 10 off of Microsoft's website, and download a USB creator tool called RUFUS. Run RUFUS, at the top make sure your USB stick is selected (usually can tell by the size) and in the ISO section, open your Win10 ISO you downloaded. Then click start, it will erase your USB stick's data and write the Windows 10 files onto it. Now put that USB into the PC, go into the BIOS again and select that to boot from then reinstall Windows.

Now the hard part... if you don't see the BIOS screen at all where it says Alienware or Dell or anything even some white text. That means your have some sort of hardware issue. The BIOS screen will always come on after the POST to make sure your hardware is working properly. You'll have to do more research to see what happened to your hardware.

• 1 year ago

there is probably a specific way it must be turned off now that you didn`t know about

• 1 year ago

Can you clean windows instantiation our system.

• 1 year ago

oh dear. cant you follow the RESET procedure again?. see the link below, do 3 consecutive failed starts and see if it enters WinRE and use the restore image option. otherwise you need a DELL version of windows 10. it will automatically activate once online.

• Lv 7
    1 year ago

you need to run factory reset from the beginning. you should NEVER interrupt a factory reset, as it can damage the drive beyond usability, and even corrupt your factory restore function, so you would need to reinstall from Windows disc...

• 1 year ago

If you get the Alienware splash screen then try pressing f12 before it goes away to get to the boot menu. Most Dell/Alienware computers have a built in diagnostic tool that you can launch from here. I would run that and see if there are any problems with the hardware first as a lot of what you describe may be do to a bad hard drive. There may also be a option to re-image in the boot menu as well that you can try after running the diagnostics. Otherwise you can use a windows 10 creation tool on another pc and create a windows 10 disc or usb bootable recovery media and re-install from that.

Agent: Derek B.

Badge: 65746

ARA

Geek Squad/ Yahoo! Answers Partnership Knowledge Partner

03/07/2019

• 1 year ago

Do you hear the motor purring? Do any keyboard lights flash? If you do and they do then you might not be lost. You just need to reinstall Windows 10 with a flash drive and windows

Search "reinstall windows 10 from usb". You'll need another computer to set it up

• Bill-M
    1 year ago

There is a better way. On a different computer - Download and run the Microsoft Media Creation Tool - web page - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/...

Running the tool will allow you to download the current version of Windows 10 and place the ISO on a USB Stick. Then after you do that take the USB Stick to the Alienware and boot off of it. This will CLEAN INSTALL Windows 10 on your PC.

There is a advanced option during installation to reformat the hard drive. Take this option - Delete all the partitions and create one new one then let the installer take over and make the required partitions itself.

This method removes all bad files and any malware completely.

• 1 year ago

You will probably need a recovery disk or take it to repair since it is likely that files have been corrupted.