Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 months ago

Why are there so many Bible translations, and which is the best?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • TeeM
    Lv 7
    9 months ago
    Best Answer

When it comes to Bible translations, accuracy of translation is best.

How accurate is the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures:

Old Testament:

In fact, the New World Translation is a scholarly work. In 1989, Professor Benjamin Kedar of Israel said:

"In my linguistic research in connection with the Hebrew Bible and translation, I often refer to the English edition as what is known as the New World Translation. In doing so, I find my feeling repeatedly confirmed that this kind of work reflects an honest endeavor to achieve an understanding of the text that is as accurate as possible. Giving evidence of a broad command of the original language, it renders the original words into a second language understandably without deviating unnecessarily from the specific structure of the Hebrew....Every statement of language allows for a certain latitude in interpreting or translating. So the linguistic solution in any given case may be open to debate. But I have never discovered in the New World Translation any biased intent to read something into the text that it does not contain."

New Testament:

While critical of some of its translation choices, BeDuhn called the New World Translation a “remarkably good” translation, “better by far” and “consistently better” than some of the others considered. Overall, concluded BeDuhn, the New World Translation “is one of the most accurate English translations of the New Testament currently available” and “the most accurate of the translations compared.”—Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament.

“Here at last is a comprehensive comparison of nine major translations of the Bible:

King James Version, New American Standard Bible, New International Version, New Revised Standard Version, New American Bible, Amplified Bible, Today's English Version (Good News Bible), Living Bible, and the New World Translation.

The book provides a general introduction to the history and methods of Bible translation, and gives background on each of these versions. Then it compares them on key passages of the New Testament to determine their accuracy and identify their bias. Passages looked at include:

John 1:1; John 8:58; Philippians 2:5-11; Colossians 1:15-20; Titus 2:13; Hebrews 1:8;

2 Peter 1:1

Jason BeDuhn

Associate Professor of Religious Studies, and Chair

Department of Humanities, Arts, and Religion

Northern Arizona University

Alan Duthie, in his book ('How To Choose Your Bible Wisely'), said:

"..for detailed word studies and similar interests in the original languages, we suggest either a very literal version like the N[ew] A[merican] S[tandard], or N[ew] W[orld] Translation..."p.225.

Why did the translators of the:

ASB, NIV, NASB, RSV, NRSV, Amplified, NJB, YLT (and the list could go on) feel the need to re- translate the bible [the KJV] into English?

Because as one translator put it. (Benjamin Wilson)

"The KJV has over 20,000 known errors in it."

"It is a notable fact that King James Translation is far from being a faithful reflection of the mind of the Spirit, as contained in the original Greek."

"There are some thousands of words which are either mistranslated, or too obscurely rendered; beside others which are now obsolete."

"It has been highly colored in many places with the party ideas and opinions of those who made it, to be worthy of being placed in it as a genuine record."

----

Dr. Macknight said about the KJV:

"it was made a little too complaisant to the King, in favoring his notions"

"that their translation is partial, speaking the language of, and giving authority to one sect."

Dr. Gell:

"and only adapted to one sect;"

"some of the translators complained that they could not follow their own judgment in the matter, but were restrained by 'reasons of state'."

• 8 months ago

The Hebrew-English Version of The Tanakh is the best. After all God gave the 10 Commandments to a Hebrew named Moses, not to the Roman Catholic King James.

• Chris
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The King James Bible is 100% accurate. There are zero errors in it. It is the Bible.

All the "versions" all have errors and changes. Avoid them.

Use the King James Bible :)

Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

• 9 months ago

Translators who produce what are frequently referred to as paraphrase Bibles, or free translations, take liberties with the text as presented in the original languages. How so? They either insert their opinion of what the original text could mean or omit some of the information contained in the original text. Paraphrase translations may be appealing because they are easy to read. However, their very freeness at times obscures or changes the meaning of the original text.

Doctrinal bias can also color a translator’s work. For example, Today’s English Version, commonly called the Good News Bible, has Jesus saying to his followers: “Go in through the narrow gate, because the gate to hell is wide and the road that leads to it is easy, and there are many who travel it.” (Matthew 7:13) The translators inserted the term “hell” even though Matthew’s account clearly says “destruction.” Why did they do so? Likely, it is because they want to promote the idea that the wicked will be eternally tormented, not destroyed.*

Therefore, a good translation of the Bible makes the message it contains accessible to sincere people, regardless of their background. A desirable translation will also do the following:

▪ Accurately convey the original message that was inspired by God.​—2 Timothy 3:16.

▪ Translate the meaning of words literally when the wording and structure of the original text allows for such a rendering in the target language.

▪ Communicate the correct sense of a word or a phrase when a literal rendering of the original-language expression would distort or obscure the meaning.

▪ Use natural, easy-to-understand language that encourages reading.

Is such a translation available? Millions of readers favor using the New World Translation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Rod
    Lv 5
    9 months ago

I'm not going to defend the publishing of every new bible version that comes out on the market.

Clearly many of these versions have been translated by people who are not committed christians or christians at all.

Does anyone remember the Queen James bible released several years ago ? It was a parody on the King James bible to promote the idea God approves of homosexuality.

On the other hand many well known modern versions are updated many times over (called revisions) with the reasons given that the English language keeps changing so bible language must change with it.

Is that the only reason for publishing companies to release these

revisions $$$ ?

I see nothing wrong sticking with the King James bible of 1611. Many of the missing verses in modern versions e.g (John 5:2, Acts 8:37 & 1John 5:7) are kept intact in the KJV.

The King James bible served the church well for nearly 300 years until new versions started being published. Sure there is hard to understand words in the KJV but a bible dictionary is a big help to the reader.

I'm not saying all modern bible versions are not trustworthy -- they can help believers in a secondary sense who have trouble understanding King James English.

• 9 months ago

Generally scholars agree that the king James ( sorry my capital i doesn't work) is the closest translation to the ancient scriptures and if you can't past the Old English Thee and Thou stuff,, there is the very closely translation the New king James.

• 9 months ago

Don't know why all the different translations. I use an old KJ bible my mom gave me for Easter long, long ago.

• 9 months ago

all of the man-invented "denominations", sects, Churches, claiming the title of Christian, have their own "interpretations"... and many actually make their own translation of The Bible.... a lot of ego, pride, and geed is involved in all of that......... there is no inerrant text of The Bible existent today.... and all of the original,God inspired" texts were lost long long ago............ I prefer the King James version for the strength of the language..... all English, and other "modern" Bibles contain man-introduced pollution's

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

The jehovah's witnesses wrote their own rendition to fit their cult's garbage.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Fiction is fiction, no matter how it is translated.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.