Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 11 months ago

Don't you find absolutely hilarious the philosophy of YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE?

Let me tell you, I've got nothing against pleasure, on the contrary. But the reason, "you only live once" makes me chuckle everytime.

Basically, one is supposed to amass more and more pleasurable experiences, since, only living once, all falls into oblivion!

That's right! You should have fun like crazy in order to have lots of memories to bring with you to oblivion. On the other hand, it's sad to think that the unlucky, the sick and the handicapped will only bring discomfort with them to oblivion (they'll remember all that there, right?!?).

But you know what I find really amusing, it's the way these people react to the suicide of the young: <<Poor thing! They had all their life ahead of them; they could've brought so much more to oblivion had they lived another 50 years. You only live once, eh!>>.

Come on, guys, have fun if you like, but the reason that you only live once is just silly. That is not a reason.

@Ricardo: I'm impressed by your reading comprehension skills, really.

And just what might have given you the idea that I was a fundie (or even religious at all)? Oh, that's right, again your beautiful reading skills.

I'll make it easier for imbeciles like you: I'm not arguing that you live more than once; I'm just showing why it's stupid to use the 'yolo' argument to support hedonism.

Again (just in case): I'm not against hedonism, but against that one particular argument for it.

Favorite Answer

There's no evidence to suggest anyone ever lives more than once. I don't disagree with you that the mere pursuit of pleasure is not a rational response to the fact we have but one life. Rather, learning and loving and pleasure are all parts of a larger tapestry which includes serving your community and trying to leave your little corner of the world a better place than you found it.

"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun."

Source(s): Eccl. 8:15

I hear the "YOLO!" chant all the time. It is stupid. Do all the stupid things you can while you're young because "YOLO!" Utter stupidity.

Do you have a question?

or a point?

, "you only live once" makes me chuckle everytime.

- Ignorance is bliss and you seem very blissful.

Basically, one is supposed to amass more and more pleasurable experiences, since, only living once,

- typical brain dead fundie view of life not being lead around by the nose.

- thinking scares you doesn't it.

No. I like REALITY.

YES BECAUSE I WILL LIVE FOREVER WITH JESUS

It's great to enjoy life that is blessed by Jesus. But for those that don't believe in Jesus, it is too late to be saved, after death.

.

Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

This phrase is commonly used as a call to do those things we often put off but might later regret leaving undone. It usually involves taking risks, acting unconventionally or impulsively, or fulfilling one’s desires. The activities involved could be good or bad – or might not fit into either category. It is all about using time while we have it so that we do not later regret wasting it.

The statement itself is true. The Hebrew writer expressed it this way: “And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment” (Hebrews 9:27). Understanding the fact that we only live once, there are some Biblical admonitions to be made.

Enjoy Life

God created man to rule over the earth (Genesis 1:28). All the blessings that can be found in life come from Him (James 1:17). Therefore, it is good to enjoy the blessings of this life. Notice a few passages from Solomon:

“I know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good in one’s lifetime” (Ecclesiastes 3:12).

“I have seen that nothing is better than that man should be happy in his activities, for that is his lot…” (Ecclesiastes 3:22).

“Furthermore, as for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, He has also empowered him to eat from them and to receive his reward and rejoice in his labor; this is the gift of God” (Ecclesiastes 5:19).

“Rejoice, young man, during your childhood, and let your heart be pleasant during the days of young manhood. And follow the impulses of your heart and the desires of your eyes. Yet know that God will bring you to judgment for all these things. So, remove grief and anger from your heart and put away pain from your body, because childhood and the prime of life are fleeting” (Ecclesiastes 11:9-10).

However, while it is good to enjoy the things that God has given in this life, we must not focus so much on these things that we lose sight of what is truly important. We can and should enjoy life, but it must be within the context of our service to God.

Serve God

Being mindful of the fact that we only live once should help motivate us to not waste time with trivial matters and instead focus on what is really important. Solomon explained what man’s ultimate purpose is in life: “The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person” (Ecclesiastes 12:13). Having this as our primary goal will cause us to focus on certain things, including the following: Salvation – We will obey the gospel in order to be saved (2 Thessalonians 1:8). Fearing God, we will be sure to do this His way – believing in Christ (John 8:24), repenting of our sins (Luke 13:3, 5), confessing our faith (Romans 10:9-10), and being baptized into Christ (Acts 2:38; 1 Peter 3:21) – rather than man’s way.

Faithfulness – We will continue to serve God until death (Revelation 2:10), striving to do all things by His authority (Colossians 3:17).

Blamelessness – We will work to defeat sin in our lives rather than be content to remain in sin (1 John 1:5-6). We will strive to be holy as He is holy (1 Peter 1:15-16) and look for the way of escape that He has promised with every temptation (1 Corinthians 10:13).

Bible study – We will learn how to “accurately [handle] the word of truth,” as this is essential for one to be “approved to God” (2 Timothy 2:15). Failure to study and grow in our knowledge and handing of God’s word is a cause for rebuke (Hebrews 5:11-12).

Assembling with the church – We will break from our schedules and take advantage of the times available to us to assemble in order to worship God (John 4:23-24) and encourage our brethren (Hebrews 10:24-25).

Remember what the Hebrew writer told us: “And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment” (Hebrews 9:27). We must be sure we are focusing on the things that are pleasing to God. After telling us of our primary purpose in life to fear God and keep His commandments, the wise man said, “For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil” (Ecclesiastes 12:14).