Would racist remarks be covered by the First Amendment?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Since the whole concept of 'freedom of speech' was first conceived, everyone who spoke about it realized that there were certain categories that are not protected. One is 'hate speech', and another is 'fighting words'. Those terms don't just mean anything you don't want to hear, they have specific legal definitions.

Name-calling is okay. But to say that blacks shouldn't have full citizenship rights, besides being incorrect, is rightly classified as hate speech.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Diversity is not in the Constitution.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Technically yes, or the 1st would have said. "Except" .....No profanity, racial slurs, sexist or gender remarks, or anything offensive to libs.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Yes sadly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Sorry guys - but actually it is...Like it or not...

You can not insite violance or any other crime, but speeking in itself...

That said, I will not listen to such talk (also my right) - depending on the situation, I might even use MY first amendment right to LOUDLY speek against whomever has made the racist remark - but yes they do have the right to speek it.....

• 2 years ago

Yes unless it were incitement to riot.

• 2 years ago

Freedom of speech originally meant you could speak out against government policy without going to jail.

• 2 years ago

Yup.

That's why the Left wants the First Amendment gone. The Left only wants their own racism to be allowed.

Louis Farrakhan is a notorious racist. Yet there is no protest against him from the Left.

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

Yes, you can say anything you want. However I won't vote for a racist, we have seen where that leads under Nazi Germany.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

YES. Most racist remarks come from the unhinged left.

TRUMP 2020

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.