Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 year ago

How can someone access their workplace website outside of the workplace?

When I get to work I have to turn on my pc, log in to windows with a username/password, click on an application that leads me to a website (I guess as it has a web address and requires internet) so that I can manage customer accounts when they call in.

If I need to do some extra work and have the web address and try to access it on my own pc or phone with no results ("unable to access website", etc) what is it that I could be needing? Thank You:)

• Chris
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

If this is an actual website, chances are it's hosted within your company and is actually part of the intranet, as opposed to the internet.

Which means the server the website is running on is physically located in your company's server room.

For access from home you need a VPN connection; this essentially makes it so your home PC is connected like you had taken it to your workplace and hooked up to their network.

Ask your IT department about working from home / a possible VPN connection.

1 year ago

You are not allowed

1 year ago

compute

• 1 year ago

Using a public IP it's possible.....

• 1 year ago

Most workplaces websites are able to be accessed from home. This is very common. If you don't have access from home point your DNS server on your home PC to the workplace and that will fix the issue.

1 year ago

It is more likely that there are protections against that to prevent unauthorized use.

1 year ago

you nnight not e able to do it except at your workplace

• 1 year ago

There is something called VPN (Virtual Private Network). This is used to allow you to connect to a remote network and use its resources as if you were physically present. This is something you'll need to talk about with the IT department and possibly manager.

• EddieJ
    1 year ago

You need to talk to the IT staff at your workplace to see what kind of safeguards they have in place.

Perhaps they can give you a program that you can load onto your own PC that will allow it to work. Or, maybe there is a different website that will prompt for an additional userid and password.

Or, they may have to make a change on their server and they might be unwilling to open themselves up to a possible vulnerability.

Only THEY will know the answer.

• 1 year ago

Authorization by the system administrator to log in from one of those devices. It is a security protection.