Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 12 months ago

At what age is a child too old to enter the pool or water park locker room of the opposite sex?

Im male and have a 2 year old daughter. Im not leaving her alone obviously if it's just me and her. So is it ok to have her in the men's locker room? I've seen other dad's bring their daughters into the locker rooms before. Most young like mine. Maybe up to 5 or 6 years old. Once saw an asain man bring his daughter in that looked to be at least 10-12. Since she was starting puberty up top. Don't think that was appropriate at all. But they just used the toilet and went to the poool. So whatever. But what's the correct age to stop taking an opposite gender child into the locker room?

Favorite Answer

This is a complex question

It depends on the locations' rules about change rooms, some have a zero tolerance policy for any age entering opposite gender room, others may have it 5 and under, others may go up to 10 etc, you get my drift here. It seems with the place you attend, that there isn't age limit to go into the opposite gender, that or the company has done a very poor job at making its policies known.

The other question comes down to is "when does a child start feeling modest about being naked around adults, or seeing adults naked"- This question can vary, some can be as modest as young as 3/4, others may not get shy until they hit the "preteen" stage, others may never have a problem with it, what applies to one person, may not apply to the other. It seems with the ones that enter your locker room, that they have zero problems being nude amongst others/seeing other nude, so, it doesn't pose an issue here lol!

I think the question I have to ask here, is why does it bother YOU, that fathers bring their daughters into the male change room? I mean its just body parts, and you need to consider, maybe they dont have a mother in the picture, maybe they have anxiety about being alone in a change room, maybe some of them have physical or mental disabilites that require they have an adult with them.

When the child turns 5, he needs to use his bathroom period.

• Carson

In the late 60s early 70s my parents had friends who were both well known and successful psychiatrist. The mother took her son into the female dressing/shower at the local pool until he was at least 12.

He's now married and a very successful attorney in Chicago. *shrug*

I know it's not an answer. Everyone raises their children differently. I guess it's the end result that matters.

• 12 months agoReport

That's awesome, and sadly things were different and easier back then as I've heard. I even heard that boys would swim nude in school and things. So def different times. But thanks for your answer

I don't know if there is a correct age. My son stopped wanting come into the ladies' change room when he was about 6ish ... so now, if he is with me, we use the family change rooms.

• 12 months agoReport

Thank you so much for all your responses. They make me feel better.

When my son was 7 he stopped me bathing him so I'd say sexual awareness and embarrassment had kicked in. So that's my answer, seven.

• 12 months agoReport

Gotcha, would you have been ok if he was in a pool locker room with you and saw other women naked and saw there boobs and lower parts? I'm concerned about my daughter most likely seeing other men naked and seeing there lower regions while in there with me. And don't want to make others uncomfortable