Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 10 months ago

Why are Spurs considered a bigger club than Everton?

or even Newcastle, for example, when they've only won the league twice?

Update:

p.s, i'm not trying to banter here, i'm a Doncaster fan, i'm just wondering ppls reasoning

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

I know these guys have said that a club's size is measured out in their success domestically and in Europe. However, Man Utd are an exception to that. Even when United had a poor side and many of us remember those dark days, they were still a big club. I remember that is was reported as one of United's poorest attendances for years when they only drew about 33,000 for one game at Old Trafford! Only? However, I think that generally speaking it is the current prowess of the side which does indeed qualify the title. I also remember when Chelsea were a somewhat poor second division side and almost got relegated! The sudden and dramatic change of fortunes was obviously caused by the Abramovich era otherwise Chelsea were ok but not great.

An interesting question because among the clubs who have, at one time or another, been considered big clubs are Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Wolves, Sheffield United, Everton and Bolton and even Blackpool. Whether that was true within the last 50 years for Bolton and one or two others is questionable but they were, at one point, considered thus nonetheless. I also recall that at the corresponding times, Bristol City were once described as the team of the mid 70's and Crystal Palace as the team of the 80's but that didn't really materialise in either case. However, I do agree that, within reason, it is measured by the club's current success and particularly in Europe since qualification is an achievement in itself. So the clubs who appear most often in Europe can justifiably be considered the biggest clubs......

Unless Man Utd don't qualify. lol

• Adam
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

Consistent finishes higher than those 2. However to me being a "big Club" is irrelevant. The people that mention it are generally fans of clubs that should be doing better than they are.

• 9 months ago

Everton haven't competed for anything for a very long time, Spurs have dwarfed them with a better team, manager, stadium, pretty much everything. If they start winning trophies it will be beyond doubt, but Spurs just love to bottle it so it's hard for them.

• John
    Lv 5
    9 months ago

history does not define a 'big club.' Spurs are not known for their trophy success, but Everton have not won a major trophy this century... Huddersfield have more league titles than spurs too, but nobody would argue they are a bigger club? call me biased but most fans would easily admit Spurs are CURRENTLY a bigger club. like david said, everton are a sleeping giant. they have fallen from grace a bit and are not as competitive as they once were.

spurs have a better squad, with less spending. spurs recently have had more european qualification than everton, who have been in a few relegation battles in the PL era (unlike spurs).

if you had asked this maybe 10 years ago i think my answer would be different because spurs have improved a lot in that time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

What makes a big club?

• 9 months ago

Its only spurs and some of there fans who think there club is big.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Because they play in London; they are a Jewish fan backed club. The Spurs think bigger than Everton as their new stadium demonstrates and they play in Wembley Stadium. Tottenham play in both the Europa and Champions Leagues; while Everton being a mid table club can’t even make through the Europa playoffs.

• Mario
    Lv 4
    10 months ago

Everton are a sleeping giant in English football, I have always said that. Things could be so different for them if English teams hadn't been banned from Europe when they were winning titles. They could have carried over that form into the PL era and been one of the best teams right now.

• Mario
      Lv 4
      9 months agoReport

Yeah that's true. They've been average for years but I am just talking about if things had been different with the European ban in the eighties.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Hopefully when the new stadium is opened and Levy opens his chequebook, Spurs will be able to challenge for the league.Maybe next season

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Everton are the fourth most successful team in England, they are a far bigger club than Spurs and have the investment and backing now and the new stadium coming to emulate the good old days and bring them back to where they should be, plastic clubs like City and Chelsea can only dream of having a history like Everton's

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.