Would I be making this person uncomfortable by staring (shy or disinterested)?

To make a long story short, there is this guy I know who works across from me at another work place. I always catch him staring at me. He is a nice guy. He used to work with our company for about a month but he ended up going back to working at the place across from us. Recently, I smiled and stared over and he... show more To make a long story short, there is this guy I know who works across from me at another work place. I always catch him staring at me. He is a nice guy. He used to work with our company for about a month but he ended up going back to working at the place across from us.

Recently, I smiled and stared over and he ended up coming over to borrow something from us. He told us that he might be switching work places somewhere else but didnt end ups switching and he still works at his place. I think he said that because he got freaked out when I stared and smiled.

Well about two days ago, he came in to ask us if we needed anything because our boss told him we did. I was surprised he was talking to me more. He then came back in to talk and borrow that item again. Later on, he returned the item to me and we had small talk but he seems shy. Today, I was leaving work and I saw him standing near the entrance of the store staring and I stared and smiled over, not sure if he noticed.

I dont want him to feel intimidated but I don't really know if he wants to ask me out? Should I just be patient?