Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 11 months ago

Can I become a British citizen through marriage?

If I move to Britain to marry someone, will I be given citizenship?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You can apply for citizenship after living in the UK with your UK citizen spouse on a valid spouse visa for at least 3 years. You also need to pass the Life in the UK test, and if you are not from an English speaking country, an English language exam. During the 3 year residency, you are required to live under the same roof with your spouse, and you are not allowed to be outside the UK more than 90 days a year during these 3 years.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

Not automatically, no. Once married, they can apply for you to live with them in the UK, but, you still have to qualify, e.g., medically, and things like that. After many years, and tests, etc., and paying lots of money, you can become a citizen.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

They'd have to qualify to sponsor you by proving both income to support you and accommodation for you to live in. Then they'd have to apply for the right kind of visa for you to be able to marry in the UK, this isn't something you're allowed to do while on tourist privileges. But if all those things fell into line you'd be sponsored for permanent residency and then some years later would be eligible to apply for naturalization.

• 11 months ago

CAN I become a British citizen through marriage -- yes

WILL I become a British citizen through marriage - not necessarily

Marriage does NOT automatically give you the right to live and work in the UK. Your spouse needs to sponsor you - to do that they need to be working, earning at least £18,600. They need their own place to live - rented or mortgage - so no living with parents or sharing with friends. They cannot be in receipt of any sort of Government handout.

If your spouse is able to sponsor you and you remain married for x period of time, then some years down the line you can apply for citizenship

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

Eventually, if you qualify.

• 11 months ago

No. Citizenship is not granted on the basis of marriage. Nothing is automatic. Nothing is even assured to proceed.

IF your British fiancé/spouse meets all requirements, including financial requirements, and the marriage is deemed legitimate, the foreign spouse MIGHT be granted a visa to enter UK. If the marriage continues & the foreign spouse meets all requirements, the foreign spouse might eventually be granted legal permanent residency status (called ILR in UK = Indefinite Leave to Remain). Fulfill further requirements, and the person might eventually qualify to apply for citizenship, and if approved, obtain citizenship. The process can easily take 5-10 years or more.

You cannot enter UK, e.g. as a tourist, and have any chance of marrying & remaining.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

probably not your spouse will be advised to move to your country and even if married you will not be allowed in until your appeal is approved , can take years

• SCATTY c
      Lv 5
      11 months agoReport

Why will the spouse be advised (and by whom) to move to this person's country ? As long as they are in a position to sponsor them that will be OK. And what appeal ? You only appeal if you are refused

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Why would you want to move to Britain? USA is thr greatest country on earth! Trust me, stay here. You will never have any of the rights in other countries like you do in America.🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.