Why did girls have more modesty and self-respect in 1997 and 1998 compared to 1999? Was Britney Spears repulsive lifestyle that influential?

1. 1999 was sluttier and more immodest overall for girls in terms of overall fashion trends and what people thought was attractive and acceptable for girls to wear and behave. 2. 1999 had lower overall moral character influenced from Britney Spears influence than the previous 2 or 3 years for young girls compared... show more 1. 1999 was sluttier and more immodest overall for girls in terms of overall fashion trends and what people thought was attractive and acceptable for girls to wear and behave.
2. 1999 had lower overall moral character influenced from Britney Spears influence than the previous 2 or 3 years for young girls compared to the models set by artists like Jewel, Natalie Imbruglia, Suzanne Vega, Shawn Colvin, Natalie Merchant, Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Amanda Marshall, Jo Dee Messina, Celine Dion, and even The Spice Girls, etc
3. Increased gender dimorphism / encouraged gender dimorphism that wasn't natural.
4. More self-centered diva-like behavior also inspired by Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.
5. The Internet was no longer in its infancy by this time and starting to fully invade and cause more problems than benefits as people adjusted.
6. LeAnne Rimes became anorexic.
7.Societal fear of the new millennium and wanting to remain basic / resisting a good future.
8. Actual rock music in the mainstream was confirmed dead by this point.
9. Less ethical and more immoral society at large than ever before. The term despicable was taken to a new level especially the way people drove on the highway and cut in line.
10. Nysnc was weaker than the Backstreet Boys were.
11. Columbine. 1999 was more a more inhumane world than it had probably been since just after WWII.

I'm an androgynous male and I'm obsessed with this as much as I am scared looking back on it.
Update: Also people became more impulsive and less patient. Instant gratification became the norm.
Update 2: I honestly don't blame individuals like Donald Trump as being a direct cause or aftermath of this but yes I get your point slightly. Hillary Clinton and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez could easily be part of that equation as well.
1 answer 1