Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 2 years ago

Should social media platforms that hold a monopoly be required to recognise people's right to freedom of expression?

Freedom of expression was designed to stop an authoritarian government limiting a person's freedom of expression, it was never designed for private businesses.

However, this principle dates back long before social media, and therefore could be considered outdated.

Social media platforms such as YouTube, Twitter, Google, Facebook etc. are one of the main ways people can express their views and reach as many people as possible. A few platforms practically have a monopoly on this, due to this monopoly would it be fair to say they need to be regulated to protect people's rights?

What do you think?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes otherwise it's censorship and it becomes the thin end of the wedge. If it's allowed to happen we will end up with a government telling us what we can and cannot say and what we can watch and cannot watch. That's a dictatorship.

• 2 years ago

I'm actually at a loss as to why they are allowed to violate people's rights like this. Freedom of speech and expression are law. The highest law. I have yet to hear an explanation from any American as to how any company can violate the constitution.

• 2 years ago

There are no platforms with a monopoly.

• 2 years ago

The same as about everything else, all the freedoms we have won. If they are used responsibly there wouldn't be a problem, but the minority always go too far and spoil it for those who are responsible. There is some appalling stuff on YouTube, but you wouldn't find it unless you go looking - or someone here posts a link.

But, if it breaks the law you can report it, and as long as it is acted on then there should be no problem.

I don't think I do believe in complete freedom of speech. You can think what you like but sometimes you just have to shut up if you are about to hurt others or encourage others to do so.

The problem is worse here, the homophobic and racist rants are vile, but they are taken down eventually, even though moderation here is dire.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

No.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

No, they should start deleting crap more.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

its all rubbish what is freedom of speech ? only one of the most damaging dogmas that mankind has paid dearly for , As we are today the media has destroyed democracy as surely as Hitler did with the same tool its a fallacy freedom to lie more like I ask WHO DO YOU BELIEVE ? Anybody at all who do you trust ?

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

The social media platforms should recognise people's rights to freedom of expression to the full extent permitted by the laws of the countries in which their content can be viewed. In the UK that would be in accordance with the Human Rights Act which is based on the European Convention on Human rights that was introduced stop an authoritarian government limiting a person's freedom of expression in a continent where that happened historically. That Act widely protects freedom of expression, even if it is offends. Is there any evidence of the social media platforms acting in breach of that?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.