How can I fill a settlement crack I can't reach?

After approaching 35 builders for quotes, not one is willing to do the work. So, I've decided to do the work myself. So far, I've used a set of step ladders (two step ones) to reach where I can, but I've only managed to do a quarter of the crack and I can't reach it anymore (the crack runs up to the roof). I'm 5' 2" tall. Any suggestions please? I've taped one of those of cake spatulas to a broom handle to tackle more of it (I put the filler on the end), but it's after that, the higher up crack I can't reach and I can't afford proper ladders.

Your guess is as good as mine, JJ. I can guess it's too small a job for them - I even had one of the builders tell me that!

Favorite Answer

The biggest single cause of accidents is falls from height. You should use the money you were going to spend on your unwilling builders to buy or hire a set of ladders to reach the work properly, and have someone to foot the ladder or tie it off to a wall anchor.

You have to find it then use a protidailniar to separate and fill

buy a longer step ladder

• JJ

Short of Scaffolding, you need to buy or rent a taller ladder. why did 35 builders decline to take the work on?

You could try a telescopic pole and put the cement on the end of that.

at the least you need to hire a tower ...im a builder ...35 builders do NOT walk away without a reason

repairing that crack the way you're trying/discussing is a losing cause. There will be more settlement and thus the crack will widen over the next few years [if not soon -- are you in sinkhole area of Florida?]

surely, one of your neighbors has a taller ladder. Borrow it.

Source(s): granddad
  • hooray

This is a bad idea. You are obviously already overreaching, stop now before you break your neck. Accidents don't only happen to other people.

Any work conducted from an elevated platform should never involve stretching out; you set your support up so the task is within easy reach. It's especially dangerous on a ladder. If you must do the job yourself hire a scaffold tower or a scissor lift.

You say you approached 35 different contractors. Why wouldn't any of them take the job? What was their objection? You need to face up to that issue, whatever it is. Perhaps the crack indicates a structural problem and you're looking for a purely cosmetic remedy?

If you can't afford the correct ladder you will just have to leave the job until you have saved up for one.

Or you could rent a ladder from a hire shop.

Maybe you can rent a taller ladder.