Does a felony arrest prevent me buying a gun in Colorado?

I have a felony trespassing arrest in Colorado on my record from 2012. No conviction, I went into a deferred judgement program that I completed so the charges were dropped. But the arrest is still on my record. Would this prevent me from passing a background check to buy a gun?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Best Answer

Probably not. But most states have two forms: a state form and ATF form 4473. You can pull 'em up and read 'em if you care.

• 9 months ago

I certainly hope so. Your mental health should be assessed beforehand, also.

• 9 months ago

You belong in prison getting raped

• 9 months ago

No, there is no law in any state that prevents you from buying a gun, even (or especially) if you're a criminal. That's not what laws do. Laws allow for capture, conviction and punishment of offenders -- not to "prevent" crimes.

If you're asking whether it's legal to purchase a gun in Colorado, the answer would be "yes, unless you're a prohibited person", under the law, at that moment.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

An arrest would only prohibit you from buying a gun until the case was resolved. A CONVICTION prevents you from legally possession a gun by FEDERAL law.

• Jack
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Local law will apply. Sorry, but it could. Whether it should is another matter. But it could. Some people don't look any deeper than the arrest record.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Arrests are irrelevant. It is only convicted felons that are prohibited. If there was no conviction, then you can legally purchase a firearm.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I hope so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.