sam asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 11 months ago

If you were an author, would you let George Lucas have total control for a movie adaption of your book?

George Lucas wants to buy the movie rights to your book. He’s going to write all the romance scenes and dialogue. He’s considering Hayden Christensen or Jayden Smith as the leading role. Michael Bay or Tommy Wiseau will be director. He also talk to you about how most of the movie will be filmed with green screen. He will only purchase the rights for $50,000 but you will get a big percent of the box office profits.

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

That's fine with me. He wouldn't have the rights to reproduce my book itself, nor to use my plots or characters in other mediums, so why would I give a toss? Even if the film was complete shite (which it most likely would be), people who aren't idiots would know that he made it, not me. Not only would I become a household name overnight, I'd stand to make tens of millions of dollars just by signing my name. Then I'd be free to go back to doing whatever I was doing before, only much more comfortably. Not to mention that upon the release of my next book, everyone would be wondering "What's he up to now?", and I'd likely make a killing on that one too. So long as there's nothing in the wording that stipulates I'm obligated to do publicity for the film, I'd be fine with it.

Yes, for three million Euros after tax.

I would like to think I would have the integrity to turn him down. But I'm very much afraid that simple greed would get in the way..

George Lucas is a terrible director and a terrible writer, when it comes to details or dialogue. He's good at grand sweeping ideas. It's a genuine mystery to me how this hack is so widely acclaimed. Was his Daddy rich/famous? But I would absolutely give this hack total control of my work, for millions of dollars.

definitely, but I'd like to have a walk on bit part like Hitchcock did in his films

• Rick

Lmao.. I'd probably had little to no control over what the movie company does to my work

I'd see my deposit account going up and my dignity going down

:)

:(