Lv 7
. asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 year ago

Can a president dissolve a House of Congress?

Like Nicolas Maduro did in Venezuela.

Update:

In the United States.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

In The United States, the answer is NO! The Constitution prohibits such an action, However, if there is no one to enforce those Constitutional protections, then a President can get away with most anything.

There was no one enforcing those protections when Obama was President, and a finger can't be pointed at Trump. Because no matter gow much Liberals wish it were so, Trump has not don't anything to attempt to dissolve Congress.

• 8 months ago

He could have the Justice Department charge a good portion of them with Treason and Seditious Conspiracy, then lock them up without bail while the courts sort it out.  

If the military was up for it they could just shut down the capital.  But you'd probably get a full scale civil war.

• 1 year ago

i think they can do anything

• 1 year ago

Not here in the US, no.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

Give it a few more years - like under President Alexandria the Great

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

It will get really ugly really fast if he does. I will be at the Federal Building that afternoon with a pitchfork.

I see the Russians are planting more thought viruses, not that I didn't already think of it.

• Gregg
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

No way. Read the Constitution.

• DON W
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

No, he cannot, as such a power is not listed in the US Constitution. The President can call for a special session of Congress (Article 2, Section 3), although that's more of a hold-over from the days when the US Congress did not meet all year long, but cannot dissolve it.

The ability of the British King and his Crown Officers in the American colonies to dissolve the colonist's local assemblies was one of the grievances that caused the colonists to declare their independence.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

No

We are not run by a parliment

• Mike
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Nope

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.