Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 10 months ago

I need help on the book "The circle".?

I have to answer 2 of this questions. Thanks for the help!

1)The wings of the Circle are named after different regions of the world and time periods, such as Old West, the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, Machine Age, the Industrial Revolution. What do these names say about the company’s vision of historical innovation versus its future-looking work? Is there an inherent hierarchy in these names, despite their apparent equality?

2)For a company that thrives on order and efficiency, the Circle also seems to endorse—require, even—loose and extravagant socializing. What do these two seemingly opposite values say about what working for them entails? How does Mae’s value set evolve to accommodate these expectations?

3)Among the Three Wise Men—Ty, Bailey, and Stenton—who has a vision of what the Circle can—and should—do that seems most viable? In the end, is this trifecta of power able to prevent tyranny? What might the novel’s conclusion say about man’s reaction to power—even when humanity is apparently subsumed under technology?

4)Does the Circle seem concerned with promoting and preserving traditional family life? In what ways does it threaten to replace biological families with a wider human family, including via transparency?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I'll answer one for you. I'm not going to do ALL your homework.

4a) Does the Circle seem concerned with promoting and preserving traditional family life?

Yes, the operative word being "seem."

Ostensibly, the Circle — the company in the book, not the book — gives that impression to get buy-in. It's all about optics, disarming you by being all warm and fuzzy and acting all family-friendly, like the Circle cares about your biological family, cares about you having strong bonds with your biological family, and even cares about helping you strengthen your bonds with your biological family. That's all just a façade, though, a trumped up appearance to get you on board with the Circle.

Ulteriorly, the Circle is actually undermining traditional family life in order to essentially replace biologically related families with a "wider human family" (i.e., the non-biologically related family the Circle provides), as the second part of this question indicates.

4b) In what ways does it threaten to replace biological families with a wider human family, including via transparency?

Just look at what happens with Mae and her own family. Her dad has MS, and the Circle offers to let her enroll her dad in the company healthcare plan. Seems nice, very family-friendly, right? But there's a catch. They've got to install SeeChange cameras in their home, which her family doesn't want and which Mae herself even has misgivings about, at least at first. But then she starts becoming indoctrinated, starts drinking more and more of the company's Kool-Aid, so to speak. So, what on the surface looks like it's the Circle supporting her biologically related family actually ends up driving a wedge between her and her biologically related family while at the same time, because of transparency and SeeChange being completely visible to all of her millions of followers, she's being driven her towards that "wider human family" as she becomes increasingly indoctrinated by the Circle to believe that "sharing is caring," "secrets are lies" and "privacy is theft." She begins betraying those close to her in real life, her family and even friends, in favor of her "wider human family."

Another example where the Circle seems to be pro-biological families on the surface but actually undermine biological families can be seen in what happens to Annie. Annie volunteers to be a test subject for PastPerfect, this new company product that tracks one's family history and one's family's activities. Getting your family history done, what doesn't seem family-friendly about that, right? I mean, in the real word, this world, not the Circles, doing your family history is a pastime that many people engage in to draw their families together, to tighten their family bonds. But the Circle twists it by bringing to light and publishing disturbing facts about her family. Annie becomes so embarrassed and ashamed of her family, she literally becomes catatonic. The transparency of the Circle and has destroyed her relationship with her biological family and, like Mae, has left her with only the Circle and her followers, which stands in judgement of her and she'll lose, too, unless takes the out Mae did, which is if she basically disavows her biological family to her Circle family, her wider human family.

This is, of course, an allegory of what is actually happening in society right now with social media. People are constantly pandering to followers on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook, as if that is the source of their worth as a person, while at the same time spending less and less time and energy with their actual family. There are even people who don't let their moms or dads or other biological family members access their social media because of "transparency," because they don't want their biological families saying things that will reveal things they don't want revealed to their followers, their followers thus becoming more important to them than their actual biological families.

• I am so happy I'm not in school anymore. It was such a pleasure to just read that book and not have to think any more about it unless I wanted to!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.