Where the praetorian guard around during the Medieval times?

I'm asking due to trying to work at a Renaissance festival and have to wear time accurate armor be in viking or warrior

• Tina

Can I suggest you stop asking questions about the Praetoiran Guard which no longer existed by the Renaissance (come to that there weren't many Vikings about either) and look up images of Renaissance armour. And ask the organisers what they mean 'by accurate armour as a Viking or a warrior' because it doesn't seem to have much relevance to the Renaissance.

• Tim D

No.

The Varangians existed as a foreign mercenary force to protect Byzantine Emperors.

But they would have no place in a Renaissance Festival.

No only in classical Rome.

• larry1

The Varangian Guard is what you are thinking of for the Middle Ages. The Praetorian Guard was ancient Roman, the personal troops/ body guards of the emperor (gone about 400AD). The Varangian Guard were handpicked Viking/ Norsemen, the personal troops and body guards of the Byzantine emperors (900AD-1400AD).

Please Google....'Varangian guard images'....to see.

They are nonexistent. Praetorian Guard was disbanded nearly 200 years before the Medieval Period even began.

I don't know. I wasn't around back then to be able to give you an accurate answer.