Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 10 months ago

Cooking Eggs in their Styrofoam carton? Would this work if you steamed your eggs (with just a little water), while keeping the eggs in the?

carton? Could you just put the whole or half of the carton in the small amount of water in the pan? You would remove the top of the egg carton first. Of course you would have to use a pan that fits.

Why or Why wouldn't this work?

Favorite Answer

Styrofoam melts when it is heated. Odds are that the carton would dissolve long before the eggs were cooked. The fumes from melting Styrofoam are toxic.

• denise

BECAUSE THE STYROFOAM WOULD MELT.

Not a good idea!!!!The styrofoam will melt when heated.There are still some brand that do package in styrofoam while others use cardboard.

Have you ever heated Styrofoam? It shrinks.

You would end up with the eggs wrapped tightly with Styrofoam.

I won't ever try this because its just stupid for many reasons.

1; foam has insulating properties and would make the whole process take longer.

2; eventually the foam would shrink and possibly melt. Styrofoam is toxic and egg shells are porous so no I don't want toxic hot foam stuck to the egg shells.

3. Just use a freakin' kettle.

That's a toxic mess waiting to happen.

Can you still buy eggs in foam? I certainly wouldn't buy them. Even McDonald's stopped using foam burger containers almost 20 years ago.

It's not something I've ever tried but I'd assume that the heat would melt the styrofoaf (at least where it touches the pan).

To me, the question would be, why would you want to do it? Also, why would you want to "steam eggs"?