promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 year ago

If religion is between you and God, why do we need Church for? Isn't Church just a bureaucracy set up by man to hinder access to God?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

We work best with specific Bible passages. Maybe you'd care to share yours. The purposes of church are manifold

We worship God communally there as the angels do in heaven.

We sing praises.

We learn biblical lessons

We encourage and assist others in need there who in turn encourage and assist us when we are in need

>>Isn't Church just a bureaucracy set up by man to hinder access to God?<<

The worldwide Christian church is not a building. It has no walls. It is worldwide. Scripture makes it clear that we are the living Temple of God. He lives and functions within us.

Some assemblies seek to position themselves between us and God in such fashion that we must go through them in order to gain access to God. The catholic assembly is a prime example. Its wholly unbiblical though. We must go through Christ - and Christ alone - in order to reach God. HE is the ONLY Mediator.

Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

Mat 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

The purpose of church is to teach people about God and about how God expects people to live.

• Does the church have some secret source material other than the Bible? What's the point of the church when people have their own Bibles and are literate?

• 1 year ago

Some religions are definitely bureaucracies set up by men who think they are some kind of intermediary between God and other mortals. Whenever you see a religion with a hierarchy of priests, prophets, popes etc, run in the opposite direction. And be aware that some false religions avoid using those words but they are still hierarchies who just use other words to describe the men (and it's invariably men) in control of the organization. One group speaks of its Governing Body and coming to 'the organization' to be saved.

Faith is given by God as a gift to individuals sincerely seeking Him. The Holy Spirit deals with such individuals to convict them of their sin and need to put their faith in what Jesus did to save them. Then they become Christians, born of the Holy Spirit, who places them within a group of believers, so they can be nourished in the faith (baptized and discipled) develop their gifts for the benefit if that fellowship, and for the fellowship's gifts to be a help to them. New-born spiritual babes in Christ need help. When the Holy Spirit directs them to which local group of believers they should be in, that tiny little group of 'the Church' aids their closeness to God.

Yet, as I said before, if leaders in that branch of the church consider themselves to be vital for anyone to 'reach' God, or to maintain closeness to God, they are charlatans. Church leaders are there to humbly serve all the others, and to protect the group from becoming spiritually weak. If a person has Christ, he or she has all they need for salvation, because the Holy Spirit indwells all who belong to Christ, by faith - Romans 8:1-27. The Holy Spirit intercedes for them when they pray and the risen Christ in Heaven presents their prayers as acceptable to God. The Church Jesus promised to build (Matt. 16:15-18) comprises all those who make that good confession as to who Jesus really is - in every century, every country, every denomination or none - because denomination just does not come into this.

• 1 year ago

Matthew 16:18, Acts 2:47.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Fellowship. Members are the body of Christ, united serving under God. We strengthen each other with good works and the Word of God. We share our mistakes, so that we are reminded to be careful of ourselves. We are like a army fighting a warfare. We need to be strong ourselves and pull our comrades to safety. The dangers that we encounter before might be one of the members encountering now. We know better advice that works. We pray for one another and show love to one another.

• 1 year ago

Mat 16:18  And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I [Jesus] will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 

Christ's church isn't some man-made organization, but a creation of the Lord himself.

• Bryce
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

The different churches want you to think you need a pastor/priest to explain the nonsense of the Bible to you. Of course, you'll need to pay for the service, and they do their best to drain your bank account.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

I think Kierkegaard said something like that.

Mind you, so did Frank Zappa, who was raised catholic (I think) but rejected it. I remember listening to an interview with him which covered many topics, not just music, one of which was organised religion (which he was strongly critical of). The subject of televangelists came up.

Zappa : "If you want God, go direct. Don't use the TV. Go direct".

Interviewer : "You mean, don't even go to church?"

Zappa : "No. You go to church because you want to hang out with your friends".

PS if you want a real laugh, look up his song "Jesus thinks you're a jerk".

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

I assume that my references to a philosopher and rock musician in the same answer was too much for your nonexistent intellect to handle, thus the TD?

• That's the pitfall of Protestantism. Every other religion in the past was clever enough to stress the importance of fellowship. "Oh sure, your spiritual journey is personal, but....." and that's when they start shaking the change jar. The Protestants created a philosophy that eliminates that middle man and as a result, they continue to fracture almost indefinitely, like they're former Soviet territories or something.

• 1 year ago

I can see the benefits of church for the sake of fellowship and aid in poor areas. But if you dig deeper, why are they poor? Following advice to procreate early and often.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

That's basically a far more diplomatic version of what I wrote!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.