Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 year ago

How to shift my focus from a past crush to my own life?

I keep trying to let go of an old crush that has been culminating my mind for so long now. I need to get my life back again because it's been way too long that I haven't been happy. I have deep emotional pain over the past and it interferes with my everyday functioning. I feel so lost and scared and I'm trying my best, it's just so hard to let go.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Start looking at opportunities for yourself for your future. Try not to dwell on the crush or the past. This is all easier said than done of course. But healing begins when you let go.

You'll never truly forget. I am almost 50, and remember my crushes from back when I was a young buck. pre teen teen and older.

I had GFs that broke up with me and rocked my world. I was devastated and felt hurt and betrayed and lost. But I am now over all of that. I even eventually married and divorced 9 years later and had deep pain and unhappy for 3 years over that. I knew it would eventually pass as things like that does if you allow it to exit your life.

Just take one day at a time. Things will get better. If you allow yourself to heal. Holding on to it, wishing it would happen, or trying to say maybe my crush will like me, is going to keep you holding on to the pain. Let go!

1 year ago

I am in a same situation!

• 1 year agoReport

Omg. If you need someone to talk to about it I'm always here!

• 1 year ago

It sounds like you would benefit from some counseling. It's not healthy to be dwelling on a relationship that long. Clearly the pain is coming from somewhere else. My guess is that you'd built up a whole fantasy about the life you thought you would have with this person, and it's that fantasy you can't let go of. The only thing I can say that might help is that most of the people I know would tell you that they are happy they broke up with a previous relationship because it freed them up to meet the person they are currently with, and they're much happier.

• 1 year agoReport

Thank you so much! Your advice really helps me. I definitely agree with you about the whole fantasy thing. I'm going to get counseling soon. Have a good day!