Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 year ago

How do you move up and down the fretboard when playing with scales?

When ever I play on the guitar with scales I always stay in that scale I never change where I go on the fret board but when I watch other guitarist play at concerts they are usually going from one place on the fret board to another it’s never just in one postition

• Me2
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Because the same notes can be found farther up or down the neck on different strings, those notes and whatever scales that include them can be played in multiple posiitons.

For example, I can play the G major scale, starting at the G on the low E string, in four different ways.  Or, play it a couple of ways starting at A on the low E, a couple starting on the B, another three starting on the C ...

The easiest way to learn to play in all positions is to first learn enough theory to understand the relationships between the notes, and to learn the names of the notes on each string at every fret (or at least to the 12th).  Then, practice playing the same note sequences at multiple positions.

A typical exercise would be to play pentatonic in A minor, positioned with your pinky at the A on the low E string (5th fret), and again but with your 1st finger on the same A, then with your 2nd finger on the C (8th fret).  The essential principle is not to shift your hand position along the fretboard, but to play only the notes on the four frets that your fingers span.

• Tony B
    1 year ago

You need to learn the scales in different positions.

• 1 year ago

As a Guitarist staying in one position is fine but the arrangement of notes limits the way you can play them, moving positions means that each note is in a different position relative to your fingers and give opportunities to put note together in a different way.

I guess that you probably use the minor pentatonic shape however for whatever key your playing in there are 7positions known as the Modes, (there are also a great number of variations but you would be best learning the common Modes first) to use the whole fretboard this is what you need to learn, they look and sound scary but are really simple when you get the hang of them.

There is also a simple way which means you can stick with the one mode, all you need to do is move the shape your playing down by 12 frets, you may still be playing exactly the same shape but your playing in a different, higher octave which gives a different sound to the same notes.