Graphics card repair?

I have a gtx titan X, some of the gold contacts corroded and around one of the memory chips there's black goo that can be removed but some has solidified, is this bad?

The contacts have been cleaned and look good, but I am yet to test it because I don't want to damage it

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

I'm not really sure what Nvidia was thinking by not putting a heat spreader across the Memory IC's. Anyway that could be from a fried memory chip, but you've have to run the card to be sure.

The pins with the tar like substance are the PCI-E power pin-outs. These actually supply power to the card, and the pins to the right which are clean are the ones that communicate with the system. This makes me wonder if there was a short or if the card was arcing because of a bad connection. I would also recommend inspecting the PCI-E x16 slot on your motherboard.

These pins can oxidize but that's not the case here. You can clean these with a pencil eraser.

If the card is dead, then it's dead. It wouldn't be a bad idea to contact EVGA for some guidance on this issue since that card has an EVGA sticker.

• 10 months ago

You might find a sophisticated repair person who can analyze the card circuits with a timing oscilloscope that has lots of features needed for this job. But could be expensive.

Source(s): Doing electronics for 65 years, running computers for 57 years, building them for 35 years.
  • Pj
    Lv 4
    10 months ago

Put it in the oven. fixes all video cards. you tube it.

• Fulano
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

That's just to melt the solder on the card if some solder has started to wear out. It does not fix most cards, and those fixes are temporary.

• 10 months ago

Use pure isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and a soft brush to soak and scrub the contaminated parts.

That should remove a lot of residue and it will not damage components.

The more concerning thing is the source of the "goo" - if that is all around one IC, it may be that the memory IC has failed and is overheating badly. If so, the card may be a write-off...

• Spock (rhp)
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

writeoff means "it's dead, Jim". chips on cards like this can not be replaced because you can't get the part

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.