Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleOther - Beauty & Style · 1 year ago

Child’s first pageant?

My 6 year old has asked me to do a beauty pageant, and I told her yes. However, I have no idea where to start. This is her first pageant, and it’s in 2 weeks. I just need some advice on hair ideas, like should I buy a hairpiece or use her natural hair? Her natural hair is very thin and straight. I already have someone booked to do her hair and makeup and we are looking at dresses this afternoon. But what advice can you give me on stage presence, waving, all of that stuff she’ll be judged on. She’s only participating in formal wear. There are no pageant coaches in my area so I cant hire one to go over these things. Also, where can I find pageant shoes? And I don’t need neagative comments saying I shouldn’t force my child to do pageants. She WANTED to do this. It was her idea not mine.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

First: I did pageants as a teenager and almost all my experiences were positive. I did meet stage moms and spoiled brats -but I didn't become one myself. I wanted to be there and I enjoyed being on stage. Even ones I bombed in I still remember fondly Even the one where I tried to sing with a sore throat for the talent part!

You should have an information package from the pageant including the type of pageant -glitz or natural and the pageant director contact. Read the information -it should say if it's a natural pageant or a glitz pageant. If it doesn't contact the pageant director. For a natural pageant don't use hairpieces, fake tans or excessive make-up. For glitz pageants -I think a couple natural pageants should be entered before a full "toddlers and tiaras" glitz pageant. Natural ones are a better experience for the girls and if she decides she like the pageant life -and some girls love it -then she can do a full glitz. Contact the pageant director to find out what it is and what the judges are looking for if you still have questions. A girl who is confident and comfortable on stage with less hair always scores higher then an unhappy girl with mountains of fake hair. As for the flat white mary jane shoes -you will need to go on line for those. I can find ones that look like them at DSW and Nordstrom's but I know the rules are super strict about shoes. Payless always had pageant worthy mary janes but that store closed recently. There are places that sell shoes that meet the rules. Again, poise and personality count and they really do mark higher when a girl makes eye contact with the audience and the judges. She should charm the pants off the people in the audience and want to be on stage and be happy on stage.

Pageants can be harder on the parents that the kids if their child doesn't win or score high. Don't take it personally -especially if this is your first. You daughter is still a wonderful girl even if she doesn't win anything. Don't make it about you, make it all about her. Stage moms make it about themselves, not their children. Praise her no matter what she does or how she does, and if she's aware she messed up a routine emphasize the positives and forget the negatives. As she grows up she will have learned to focus on stuff that went right rather than stuff that went wrong.

• 1 year ago

WATCH toddlers and tiaras !!!!!! it should help ALOTTTTT!! all they do is glitz pagents. good luck!

1 year ago

That kiddie pageant jazz is a total rip off. The organizers are making big bucks, and only the pros 'win.' The little girls who do not win are left in tears, wondering why they are not 'good enough'. Truth is, Jon Benet Ramsey would probably be alive today if her mom had not be obsessed with kiddie pageant perfection. If she needs an activity, dance, sports, or scouts would suffice. Pageants for anyone under 19 are pure child abuse.

1 year ago

If my daughter expressed an interest in being on stage, I'd encourage her to take up a performing art like dance, drama or music.

Beauty pageant? No way, Jose.

• 1 year ago

And you couldn't just tell her no? Does she get to do everything she asks to do?

• Tulip
    1 year ago

Lier