Brian asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 10 months ago

I want to wear a speedo but feel odd about it?

I am a younger middle aged guy, just shy of 40. About 6'0 tall, 190lbs. I am a bit out of shape but not fat(trying to fix that). I don't have excessive body hair.

Back in High school, I swam competitively and was on the dive team 1 year. I found wearing a speedo to be way better then swim trunks/board shorts. I hate how regular swim trucks puff up in the water. How they bunch up and drip like crazy.

I'm past the point in my life where I worry about what people think of me, but I don't want to draw too much attention to myself or worst get in some sort of trouble(just my own paranoia). Would wearing a speedo be tacky or douchey? If I did, I would get a dark colored one.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/nike-mens-vic...

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Big baggy boardshorts are an american fashion, which make swimming really difficult. I do not know why americans all wear them, unless nobody there can swim. Women wear smaller and smaller bikinis while men wear bigger and bigger shorts.

There is a compromise, which is a tight speedo fit but longer, so you can still swim but they hide the budgie smuggler effect.

• Brian10 months agoReport

i have seen those, that's an idea.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Do what ever you want. But no one wants to see that. But hey. That doesn't stop fat chicks from wearing bikini so have fun man.

• Dan7 months agoReport

If you don't want to see it, don't look. Speedos were made for swimming, and are really proper attire to wear for swim workouts.

• 10 months ago

Somebody's got to do it, why not you? If more people would wear what they like we'd all benefit from the breaking down of arbitrary restrictions.

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Unless you are in Europe, you will draw much attention to yourself. There are plenty of board shorts and other swim trunks which do not have the issues you describe. You have a personal preference to be as nude as possible. That will draw attention to yourself no matter what.

• Dan7 months agoReport

Speedos are the proper attire for a work out, if you don't like to see someone wear one, don't look.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Yes. My sample size of the people at my gym (which has an indoor lap pool) is that the guys who wear speedos are generally douchebags (it's either guys in their 20's who think they're the male equivalent of Penny Oleksiak (or the Canadian version of Michael Phelps) or the geezer contingent in their 50's/60's/70's. Wearing one to a public/outdoor pool or the beach? No. Just don't.

They make trunks that have a tailored/fitted cut if that's a concern. I'll occasionally swim laps at my gym (I'm in my mid/late 40's and I've never had an issue with my trunks puffing up) but I most defiantly do NOT have a body for the Speedo; nor do I have any desire to wear one because they look terrible on 99.9% of men.

• Reginald
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

Please learn the difference between "defiantly" and "definitely" before criticizing someone else's choice of swim wear. And they don't look terrible on 99.9 percent of men.

• speedo would be ok

• Jake
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

You do you boo. Ain't nothing wrong with showing a bit of extra skin if your comfortable in your own body.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.