Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 11 months ago

How to train to run 2 miles in 20 minutes ?

I’m in bad physically condition and I don’t know if I need to workout out first and lose some body mass and weight or just go for it by starting on a treadmill or just go to a track and start with walking...

Favorite Answer

Long ago, I was a not-very-good runner. Like you, I'd gotten a little heavy and wasn't active enough

And my attempts to go for it were a complete failure. Luckily, I was in a big city with a lot of runners, and more than one person took me aside for some advice, which I'm happy to share.

First, go for your distance. Figure out where two miles is on some route you can walk or run without it being a big production. Most public paths that are paved have mile markers. Or if you're indoors, a track usually has a sign saying how many laps per mile.

Go slow. Start at the slowest jog you can do, and when you can't go any more, switch to briskly walking while you catch your breath. Start running again when you can. Don't worry about how often you have to walk, or how slowly you jog.

Do this at least every other day. More often is better.

Your cardiovascular fitness will improve pretty quickly if you're young. Over 45 or so, and it's slower, but it will come.

One day, you'll realize you're getting close to jogging the whole two miles. The next time you go, see if you can jog the whole distance. It's okay if you can't, but really give it your best effort. When you're pretty close, push yourself.

Once you jog the whole way, you start working on speed the same way you worked on jogging. Start faster than usual, and when you can't keep that up, drop back to your slower jog, then speed up again when you can.

I went from not sure I could even walk a mile (of course I could!) to jogging for three miles in 36 minutes, which was my goal, in a few months, IIRC.

"Physical" condition, not "physically" condition. My suggestion would be to ease your way into it. Start with diet, cutting out all fast foods, soft drinks, high-sugar foods, junk foods, etc. Reduce your meal portion size by about 25%. Also, start a mild cardio-vascular workout, like a treadmill or uphill walking. Workout for at least 20 minutes, at least every other day. Do all that for 30 days, and then start increasing the workout routine. You should see a difference relatively quickly. Good luck!

• kaliyah11 months agoReport

That’s what I meant.

Start walking first, get rid of some weight, then keep training for better fitness and endurance.

• KaleyK

Start slow and work your way up. Walking is a great exercise and also a very natural exercise. When you can walk eight laps, then you can start jogging the straight portions of the track. Take it slow and easy, use a stopwatch, and see your time improve over several weeks.