How to upgrade my laptop’s SSD?

I just bought a new ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition gaming laptop yesterday with 1 TB SSHD and 128 GB SSD. I primarily bought this laptop to play the sims 3 and eventually other games, as well as schoolwork and anything else I may need it for. I haven’t had my own laptop in years and finally decided to buy one.

Not being a big computer nerd, I saw a terrobyte plus 128 more gb so I thought I had plenty of space. Come to find out through a little research post-buy that an SSD with 128gb is puny, especially when it comes to playing the sims 3, adding expansion packs, adding custom content, and even saving the game.

So now I need to figure out if and how I need to upgrade to a 512gb ssd if that’s even possible without spending a few hundred more. I already paid $1300 for the computer.

Is it fairly simple and not so expensive to upgrade? Or can I not even upgrade from 128 to 512 on the same computer? Thanks a ton for your help.

• YKhan
    Best Answer

You have a 1 TB SSHD, which is a very fast hard drive, it has an internal SSD cache inside it. After you play the Sims game more than once, the major components of the Sims, will start filling up the internal cache SSD. On average, an SSHD will likely be 50% faster than a regular HDD, perhaps about 75% as fast as a full SSD. So I would just go store your game on the SSHD, you won't notice much of a difference between that and storing everything completely on the SSD.

That being said, these days some average 500GB SATA SSD's can be had for less than $100. You could just purchase the 500GB SSD, and clone the 128GB SSD to the 500GB one, with cloning and imaging software.

see maker's website for that specific model -- they should tell you if the ssd is upgradable and how to do it

• Frank

If you need more storage space, just save your OS as an ISO image to a CD/DVD disk. Back up all of your data. Then replace the old SSD with a new one. Then install the OS using the ISO which will install the OS with all of the updates. You'll then need to install any third-party programs such Microsoft Office suite and any games, etc.. that you had installed on the old drive. Just as long as you have all of the installation disks or are able to download programs (e.g. games on your Steam account), you'll won't have any issues. It's just a matter of time.

The "C/" drive is not for gaming, it is solely for Operating System.

You are supposed to "Browse" for installation to the "D/" Drive.

BTW: There is No Such Thing as a "Gaming Computer" except as a Marketing grab.

For Gaming, you are supposed to Get the Recommended (or Optimal) SPECS of the Game(s) you want to play, and buy any machine that meets or exceeds those specs.

Usually you can only get close, at a reasonable price, and then need to upgrade a specific hardware item. Such as the Video Graphics Card.

My machine cost 5000$US to be built custom (Including the Two 30" Monitors)

LapTops are especially NOT gaming machines, because of inability to change hardware, Most come with an inferior Video Graphics capability, that cannot be upgraded... except RAM and some HD.

• Dave

Dude, you're an idiot. There are most certainly "Gaming Laptops". I have owned them for years. My current gaming laptop plays ANY AAA title on the market with no problems.

Hi so same old issues here laptops are not a gaming device. they have not the inherent capacity/

cant you install the game on the 1TB disk? most applications have a CUSTOM install that ASKS you to browse for the INSTALLATION folder and you should be able to select a DIFERENT DRIVE ie the BIG ONE. The SSD is really JUST FOR THE OS. you can usually visit places like Kingston.com(memory maker) or MrMemory.co.uk(memory seller) and look up the upgrade options yourself. you will need to use CLONE software and make a bootable usb stick(with the clone boot OS on it) then duplicate the current ssd(may contain several partitions) to your big disk as a single image file(of all partitions on the ssd), then remove that ssd, put in the bigger one, and then boot the clone usb boot disk, and restore the image to the new ssd (all partitions) and use the STRETCH option for the OS one to make it fill the rest of the bigger capacity as one partition. see EASUS clone ssd to find out how.

• Dave

You're not going to get much of an improvement if you were to use the SSD for Sims 3. The SSD is for the OS only. The 1T is for your games, music etc.

• P

Honestly it's a bit of a waste since you have the 1tb hybrid. In a laptop like this you install everything to the "D" drive and setup your Steam games directly to the D drive. Once you setup Steam correctly you never have to worry about it again. You can't accept the default settings which will try to install to the C drive. Do not install anything to the C drive unless you have to. There's no reason game saves and installs\expansions need to be on the C drive.

Otherwise your C drive is special and it will not be that cheap to upgrade. It's a PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe SSD and for 512gb it will cost you $200. You will also need to buy an usb NVME drive cloning tool.

just buy the SSD and replace it...

SATA ssds are fairly cheap (1TB for around $200)

m.2 ssds are not so cheap (500gb for $200)