Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationOther - Games & Recreation · 10 months ago

why are some people so afraid to show that they have stereotypical nerdy geeky, interests?

dungeons and dragons, board games, video games, anime, magic the gathering, star trek, harry potter, cosplaying

if anything, some of the coolest people i met have at least one of those interests i mentioned

Update:

as a black male, i noticed this in our community. we get shunned by other black guys as being nerds, *******, or sissys, if we are not cool enough

Update 2:

i notice that as people grow up and mature, its not really the adult thing to do by judging others for their interests.

Update 3:

i felt shunned a lot when i was in high school, but i it lessened a lot as i got older and met actual adults that didn't care about it

Update 4:

@lili . i didn't say i thought all those interests were cool. i said that some of the coolest people i met had at least one of those interests

Update 5:

@lili,

and that is the problem with this whole "acting white" garbage. its a really closed-minded way to think. there is no such a thing as "acting white". you like what you like and race is irrelevant

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Partly because they're afraid of being teased or even bullied for them. Young people tend to be very insecure; they worry a lot about what others will think. And while you may think people with those interests are "cool," not everyone agrees with you.

Edit: since you're black, you must realize that another obvious explanation is that some young black guys may think being interested is those things is "acting white". They want to be accepted and respected by their peers, and being perceived as "acting white" is not the way.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.