What would happen if I used medium octane gas in my premium required gas 2003 Acura MDX?

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

You can try using 87 octane if you like. Just fill the tank 1/3rd of the way when about empty. Then drive the car for 20 miles so it's at operating temperature. Find a long big incline and accelerate fast up it. Listen to the motor for pinging which sounds like a metallic popcorn noise. If you have pinging you need more octane in the gasoline. A motor that has pinging will have holes eaten in the pistons over time and ruin the motor.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • JetDoc
    1 year ago

When I bought a used car a few years ago, I didn't get an owner's manual with the car, so I just used regular grade fuel (87 octane) for the first month or so, until I found out that the manufacturer recommended premium grade fuel. When I switched to premium grade fuel (92 octane), I got noticeably better fuel mileage AND better performance.

If your car is designed to run on Premium grade fuel, then THAT is what you should use!

• 1 year ago

less power that you would not notice. Run a FULL tank of premium gas on the freeway then FULL tank of medium. Record the milage. This will be your answer.

1 year ago

It is your car. You are the one who will be fixing it if the CEL turns on.