Anonymous

What to say to prospective employers about my time off for Leukemia treatment?

I had to quite my last job because of cancer treatment but it has been pointed out to me that some employers (even though I believe this is discrimination) may look at that and decide they don't want to risk me having to take time off work, pay for my medical, etc. So, what do I say for my time gap and why I need to go to the doctors every 3 weeks for labs and get bone marrow biopsies every 6mos or a once a year? I'm having a hard time getting back into the work force.

Favorite Answer

Don’t think of not mentioning your cancer as lying; you are merely excluding information that is private and protected by law. If asked about the gap you can say you were forced to undergo treatment for a brief illness and have fully recovered and are more motivated than ever to getting back into the workforce. Handle all the follow up appointments by working partial days and agreeing to make up your missed hours that's if you are hired.

And it's not discrimination if an employer doesn't want to hire you per having revealed you had cancer. You have to prove that was the reason you weren't hired and they will always say you just didn't do well in your interview or weren't qualified... They do not have to hire anyone that comes in in a wheelchair you know, the employer is not obligated to hire anyone they just don't want to and just because you had leukemia you still have to qualify for the job.

Beggars can't be choosers. Looks like it's time for a "walk-on" job if that even still exists. Nowadays employers want 20+ years of experience and a PhD in rocket science just to be an intern. So you telling me I need fuggin 20+ years of experience and a PhD in rocket science just to sit around and refill the GD coffee maker and water cooler all day?! That's an insult to prospective employee intelligence!

• 12 months agoReport

LMAO my thoughts exactly. I'm over it. Think I'm just going to get some partime caregiver shite (I have experience in this and the demand is huge so I ACTUALLY got in) and go back to school and get my bachelors so I can manage these losers. Thanks for your input.

The truth will set you free. You will have to clear with them the time off that you need. Some employers are understanding and will make room for it, to allow you the time off. Other employers need their employees full time and don't have extra staff to cover for you. Many jobs require a lot of training so a temp cannot just sit in for you and do the job. You will have to find a job where there is enough staff to cover for you. The employer is much more apt to understand.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

Try a larger company. Some will deliberately hire people with difficulties. They tend to have better benefits. Point out that you can take holiday or make up the time, if they query your previous work record.

Point out, so far so good. Good luck.

• LAN

If you tell them anything other than the truth you are an idiot.

• LAN

You are just a drama seeker so I wasn't trying all that hard. How about growing up and acting like an adult like the rest of us have to?

nnaybe you should just tell thenn the truth and if they dont like it just go work for sonneone else

Don't mention it at all. Instead, ask about their sick leave policy. If their policy will accommodate a visit every three weeks, its not an issue and it needs no discussion. If their policy does not accommodate the frequency of visits you need, you could then bring up your need for regular visits and ask if that would work.. There's no harm in bringing it up if the job probably won't work out anyhow unless you got some type of assurance you could get the time off.

• 12 months agoReport

ok thanks