Anonymous

Why can't I get a job.?

I've sent out over 75 applications to places where I am qualified for. Written cover letters based off of employer website advice/outlines. Called, showed up in person. The last few years have been rough for me. Went through a crappy divorce, then shortly after got Leukemia and had to be hospitalized for a while, had to leave a good job. Now I'm trying to work again and it's SO frustrating. I've tried so many different tactics and nothing is working. I can't even get a job at a gas station. Are people looking at my gap in employment? I tried the tactic of explaining my gaps and my sickness in case that was happening, that didn't get anything either. I wish they would just tell me why I'm getting passed over! I'm applying for EVERYTHING I might be qualified for and writing quality cover letters. I just don't get it. I'm on food stamps, ssdi and I'm so broke. I need work badly and am honestly getting super depressed about it.

Best Answer

The only person on the planet who actually cannot get a job is me. I'm the one person who is literally unhireable. I have basically no work experience, whatsoever, and I've been an adult for 18 years, will be 19 years this summer. I should be more than half way to retirement right now. Instead, I'm still trying to start life from the beginning, as if I just turned 18.

So, in a way, I can't help anyone with this question, let alone you.

I think you will get hired. I'm the one who will not. I can name to you companies that flat out told me that there is no way in h3ll that they would hire me. And yet, even they still expect someone to hire me, which I don't get, cause they, as an employer, should know better than to actually expect another employer to hire me, when they, themselves, feel that way about me.

All I can say is, keep applying. Do yard work for neighbors. Start a business of your own. Something is bound to come through for YOU.

You are doing nothing wrong in your job search. It's just difficult to find a job. In the 1800s, all we had to do was walk in, say, "Need some help around here?" And, the owner would say, "Yeah, you can start sweeping over there, and I will tell you what else to do later." And just like that, we could grab their broom, and start sweeping, and we had a job. Today, there could be 500 companies that are hiring, with 100,000 positions available, and only 250 applicants, and they need to hire someone yesterday to stay operating the way they need to operate, and you could even have exactly what they said they are looking for in a candidate, and still not be hired. That's just the way it's done today. So, it's not you. It's the system. There's nothing you can do but keep applying. What's wrong could be anything from you don't have a state required license to do said job, to they want someone with five years experience in the field when you only have six months experience in the field, to they only need one person to do the job out of 500 applicants, to they only have enough money to fill so many positions, to they have all of the workers they need, to even something as simple as they are looking for someone like Sally to fill the position, and you are more like Amy. It could be anything happening. All you can do is keep applying.

• 9 months agoReport

Also you should consider school. I wish I did right when I got out of HS. Talk to a career counselor. You can at least be doing SOMETHING while waiting/trying to get work ya know? Seriously! I wish I did.

Make your own job. Blogging or youtube. Try lyft, or any of the online jobs like ubereats. I think they hire anyone who applies.

you are making a few mistakes...........cover letters are rarely asked for nowadays and when they are, it's with an application and not by themselves............2nd - do NOT try to apply in person w/the exception of small " mom & pop" type companies..........97% of all companies hire from online applications ONLY......last - remember that there's 10 million or so unemployed people, so your "competition" will be 100's or more applying instead of the "old days" when it would have been maybe 10

• 9 months agoReport

I'm putting covers WITH applications and resume. I use them when they're requested.

There are hundreds of applicants for one single job at the same place, it's like playing the lottery. Just gotta keep applying online, no need to go in person, you don't explain you were sick, just say you took time off per personal reasons which is none of their business and you do not have to elaborate.

• A Hunch

PLEASE GET OUT OF THE TIME WARP... it's not 2011... most jobs don't have hundreds of applicants. In fact unemployment is close to an all time low. There were few unemployment claims recently than there had been since 1969.

• nt

You can. You might have to start lower than you'd like.

• 9 months agoReport

I have been applying everywhere. gas stations, fast food, walmart, thrift stores. It's like I'm an effin leper or something.

• Will

Get a Class A CDL. You'll be successful in no time and surpassing all friends and family in wealth in no time.

They don't want you to get sick on them again. They'll have to pay for your Sick Leave and health expenses and ****, you know.

• 9 months agoReport

Ya but isn't that discrimination? I totally agree though I have been thinking that myself. I only just now tried mentioning that but have stopped. ugh

• .

Maybe the kinds of jobs your applying to already have a large applicant pool. So it's a supply and demand thing.

• 9 months agoReport

How in the world do I get around this. I follow all the job site peoples advice. There's just too many people looking for work in my area I guess. thanks

Work at McDonald's or Walmart

• 9 months agoReport

I applied to Wal-Mart several times. Wrote a cover letter, went there in person. They straight up will not talk to me. My friend told me they are probably avoiding me because I had a workman's comp case with them a few years back (their fault) when I worked there before so now they won't touch me.