Why can't I get a job.?

I've sent out over 75 applications to places where I am qualified for. Written cover letters based off of employer website advice/outlines. Called, showed up in person. The last few years have been rough for me. Went through a crappy divorce, then shortly after got Leukemia and had to be hospitalized for a... show more I've sent out over 75 applications to places where I am qualified for. Written cover letters based off of employer website advice/outlines. Called, showed up in person. The last few years have been rough for me. Went through a crappy divorce, then shortly after got Leukemia and had to be hospitalized for a while, had to leave a good job. Now I'm trying to work again and it's SO frustrating. I've tried so many different tactics and nothing is working. I can't even get a job at a gas station. Are people looking at my gap in employment? I tried the tactic of explaining my gaps and my sickness in case that was happening, that didn't get anything either. I wish they would just tell me why I'm getting passed over! I'm applying for EVERYTHING I might be qualified for and writing quality cover letters. I just don't get it. I'm on food stamps, ssdi and I'm so broke. I need work badly and am honestly getting super depressed about it.
9 answers 9